Monday, July 04, 2005

Word-ilicious

Hey..if Destiny's Child can come up with Bootylicious, I can come up with Wordilicious!
So, Aparna tagged me, and in doing so, made me slightly crazy trying to think of cool words I like. I gave up after a few tries, and while these aren't my favorite ones, here are some words I like. Also, since I am too lazy to look up the dictionary, I will give my own definition/description of it..feel free to add/correct/criticize etc.

"fabulous" - Currently my favorite word in use daily..How are you? Fabulous! How is that sandwich? Fabulous! How's your dissertation coming along? Not so fabulously :(
"vendetta" - What a colorful word...it brings to mind Sicilian family feuds, the 'Hang 'em high' tune from "The good, the bad, the ugly", "Kyunki saas bhi.."type soap operas, everything!
"ridiculous" - Very expressive. Being kind of an extreme person prone to exagerating, I find this word ridicuculously useful. (Especially to fight the stray boggart, eh, Harry Potter fans?!Ridikkulus!)
"zany" - Someone used it to describe me once, and she meant crazy and smart and a little nuts.
"carpe diem" - Very motivating little Latin phrase meaning "Seize the day". Useful for people like me, and made famous by Robin Williams in the ridiculously fabulous movie "Dead Poet's Society" (Honorable mention from same movie:"Yawp" as in a line from a Walt Whitman poem "I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world")
"fiery" - Of fire. And of people that are (often unexpectedly) passionate or impassioned about something.
"nonchalant" - Anything but fiery. Something like blase, uncaring. I especially like this word because of the Frenchy "sh" sound.."Non-shuh-llaaaaant"!
"iota" - it means a little teensy weensy bit. Also a Greek letter I believe. Also the name of my dream entrepreneurial venture.
"cosmic" - Of the cosmos. At once binding us all, and flinging us each into oblivion.

There are several words in other languages, especially Urdu (the little that I do know!), that I just like for the way they sound, but none come to mind right now.
In any case, I think coming up with nine words is an iota short of being fabulously zany considering my nonchalant mood currently. But hey, when I got tagged, rather than invite a fiery vendetta of cosmic proportions, I decided to carpe the diem, and here we are! YAWP!

5 Comments:

Blogger aparna said...

good post!

Am glad i made you crazy enough for you to write such a nice one :D

yeah, ridiculous is a word i use too much! very useful :P, so is fabulous...and yeah nonchalant...love the 'shh'

7:35 PM  
Blogger sd said...

I like 'zany' quite a bit..perfectly describes a friend of mine. Reminds me of him. And like 'iota' too.

BTW - how did you know about the status of my dissertation:-)

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent Stuff! Especially liked the last paragraph a lot.

11:21 AM  
Blogger shod said...

hey gal ... i can think of a phrase u use often ... 'those people' ;-)

how life been?? lost ur phone no ... call up sometime so we can catch up !!

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankshhh, Aparna, you're fabulous!
SD, it is in the nature of dissertations to stretch our patience and make us question existence :)
Hello G! I did think that last para was zara contrived, but thank you :) And keep dropping by!
Shradha madam..u'll never let that one go, huh? How's life?
Rt

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home