Wednesday, June 29, 2005

I'm a believer!

Someone once asked me, whether I am a believer. I said, "Yes, but of what?"

Do I believe in God? Yes, but not in the sense of Jesus being the savior of my sinning soul or in the sense that if I make a pilgrimage to Kasi I will attain "moksha" or if I read a certain prayer 108 times I will not be afraid anymore.
Do I think that seeing is believing? Actually, I think that first you believe, then you can see..Human perception is a remarkably tricky thing!
Do I believe in life after death? I don't know but I sure believe that sadly, there's often death within life.
Do I believe there are angels among us? Definitely! Not the kinds with wings and a harp, but the kind that helps you get home when you're stranded in a broken down car. The kind that helps you carry your groceries. The kind that asks you how your day was, and actually listens to you grumble about the traffic or the hated boss. The kind that offers to fix your computer for free. The kind that forgives you when you make a costly mistake at work. The kind that sends you a text message for no particular reason other than telling you that you are loved no matter what. The kind that senses when you need water and brings you a glass without being asked to.
Do I believe in soulmates? I think the soulmate theory is an unfair one - it confines each person's love and passion to just one other (watch the commitment-phobic in me make that up!) But I have definitely felt an uncanny sense of connectedness with people I might have just met compared to people I've known my whole life. "You know your friends the moment you meet them" I think there's something basic that binds us all together, some more than others.
Do I believe in love at first sight? Not as much as I believe in hate at first sight..Don't you always know so much quicker that you could never be with certain people than you know that she or he is 'the one'? I think human sensitivities are more ready to detect and prevent negativity than to promote positivity. But I believe too, in second chances, and growing to love someone, as well as in raw meaningless irrational passion that starts the first time you see someone and lasts forever. That doesn't make it love though. Love is not in chasing after the man/woman you want, but in wanting them after you don't need to chase them anymore.
Do I believe in fate? I don't know...but I do attach meaning to coincidences and signs and serendipitous meetings. I believe that luck is when preparation meets opportunity, but also that sometimes life leads you in ways that you are never going to be prepared for.
Do I believe in fairies? Yes, in that I think imagination is more powerful than the truth sometimes, and we need to believe in fairies and magic and miracles. And hope.
So, what about it? Do you believe?

7 Comments:

Blogger sd said...

Nice Post. “I don't know but I sure believe that sadly, there's often death within life.” Very true.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Parth said...

Excellent post. "Actually, I think that first you believe, then you can see ..." ... I totally agree

10:45 PM  
Blogger RS said...

Aarti - A generous dose of reality added to mysticism and preconceived notions among other things! Me likes this post a lot :)

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks SD, Parth, Ramya..I do believe you guys are too kind *blush* :)
RT

6:55 PM  
Blogger aparna said...

A very nice post!

I used to be more of a believer earlier, but i have left my beliefs somewhere far behind. I dont know if thats fortunate or unfortunate...but my perceptions about god and religion have changed a lot, maybe because i have seen belief overlapping with blind, outrageous fanaticism many a times.

A very nice post. :-)

btw, i have tagged you!

3:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really good post. Read such a good one after a long time.

Hey! I believe too.

Keep up the good work.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i believe that each individual has a right to choose her/his own beliefs.

unfortunately, most of us just drag along our parents'/ society's beliefs without ever thinking for ourselves.

i've found it very liberating to debate everything i thought i believed in, to- find some new, keep some old, and leave some yet to be discovered beliefs.

but now- they're all my own.
and only i am responsible for believing what i do.

3:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home