Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Tripping on India, in India and for India

And what do you think this post is about? It ain't about dope, so sorry to disappoint you, my large stoner audience..go away! For the two of you left, it's about my trip home.
Got back couple of days back, and as it is after every trip, I am deeply depressed to be back. I am such a dissatisfied soul. I keep missing things and people, and expecting things of people, and wanting things and people..I will never reach Nirvana! Anyway, as a means of catharsis, I am going to recount some of the highlights of this trip..
1. My brother got married. To a wonderful, polite, sweet, smart woman. Good for them.
2. The journey there was the funnest ever - I traveled with 3 of my favorite people in the world, my cousins, and my brother-in-law, the infamous Parth (I have christened you Parth Pater, since u took care of us kids like the evil Vader!) and they made it so memorable.
3. Speaking of Vader, I saw the Revenge of the Sith and loved it. Despite the distractions of the college couple making out in the seat in front of me.
4. I saw Bunty aur Bubbly. Twice. Eww! But I love the music, and Rani's jhakmak clothes, so I guess it's ok.
Almost forgot - I watched Parineeta with 10 of my family members. It was surprisingly good. Quite melodramatic (a la Devdas), but for us, it was a revelation because we happen to know Vidya Balan. She looks amazing, and acts amazingly well, especially for a debutante. The songs are lovely and Saif is awesome as a hot, hot-tempered (okay, "passionate"!) Bengali babu.
5. I was amazed once more, at the Mall-onization of India. Thanks, this time, to In-Orbit mall (which was one that I had never seen in my earlier trips). The neat thing about Indian malls is that they have Indian, American and European stores, and wonderful food courts.
6. Speaking of food, I ate BRILLIANT food for 3 weeks straight, and it shows. The immigration officer looked at me and looked at my passport photo and told me to my fat face that I've put on some weight! He also said that "Industrial Organizational psychology is the weirdest major!!" so I decided to take his comments not-so-seriously. Anyway, I ate at amazing restaurants like Samrat, Relish (both at Churchgate), Peninsula (Sion), Only Parathas (twice!), etc. Also ate Pav bhaji, Pani Puri and the rest. Didn't eat as much as I'd have liked to, (or as much as Parth and Swetha), at the wedding, since I was actually running around running errands, plus I had a bad throat and fever.
7. I got several compliments during the wedding, in my new sari(s). Plus the innane, fishing for a bride for my son questions from some aunties: "So, when will you finish your PhD? Do you plan to settle down in the US?" As if I don't know what you're asking!! Fortunately (or unfortunately?), my parents seem to have given up on the idea of me getting married!
8. I spent some time with some friends, but didn't even get to talk to so many others. Which is a damn shame. But I guess this was a very family-oriented vacation, so it's all good.
9. I learned that marriages in India are marriages of more than two people. My sister-in-law's family and mine bonded so easily and so much and so quickly, that it gives me more to cherish and miss.
I realized that coming back never gets easy. This time was even harder because I don't know when my next trip will be, what with expiring visas and uncertain futures and possible new jobs and all in the next 2 years.
Oh well..guess it's time for the withdrawal symptoms after my heady dose of India tripping.

4 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

Parth Vader is better. Evil personified. I like it :-)

Actually, when I tell Americans my name is Parth, they construe it to be 'Bart'. This Parth Vader trick is something I have started using recently and it has served me well.

Take your time and settle back in. Your alternate reality awaits you.

12:11 PM  
Blogger phucker said...

Parth Vader.... "I AM your brother-in-law" ! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heehee. Sorry, couldn't resist. Nice to see you had a good trip too RT. The marriage questions - they won't stop now...I get them everytime I meet any relative who doesn't know me very well. I totally know what you mean when you talk of expiring visas, OPT and jobs. It was much the same in my case... but then I think you'll head out in a different direction!

9:12 PM  
Blogger phucker said...

"Obi-wan never told you what happened to your brother-in-law"
"He told me enough. He told me you killed him".
"No RT, I...am your brother-in-law..."
"Nooooooooooooooo, It's impossible!" (and with that poor RT plunges into the garbage chute of the Bespin cloud city...)

Sorry, just couldn't resist again....

9:16 PM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Don't be sorry Tarun! That was very good! You should totally check this out http://www.storewars.org/flash/

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home