Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Book-post!

So, I got tagged by Dinesh in what seems to be a revelation of people's reading lives. For someone who really used to believe that books are one's best friend, that friendship circle has certainly changed over the years. So here goes:

Last book I bought - Michael Crighton's "Great train robbery", for my brother. I am notoriously kanjoos about buying books, in that I rarely experiment. I borrow about 5 books at a time from the library, manage to read 2 or 3 of them in time, and if I like any enough, then I go out and buy it. Cheap.

Last book I read - Since I read 2 or 3 books at a time, each catering to a different mood/interest, I guess the answer to this is,
1. Sisterhood of the traveling pants (Ann Brashares),
2. The curious incident of the dog in the night-time (Mark Haddon I think) and
3. What do you care what other people think? (Richard Feynman)

Books currently reading -
1. Jurassic Park (Michael Crighton) - again!,
2. On bullshit - Harry Frankfurt,
3. Moral Politics - George Lakoff

Total # of books I own - perhaps around 30-40 here (not counting academic books), perhaps around 100 back home.

Books that mean(t) a lot to me -
1. Go ahead, Secret Seven - because it was the first real book I ever read.
2. The complete short stories of Sherlock Holmes - because I know every story and every character and can perhaps recognize which one any given paragraph is taken from. Or at least used to! Because it helped me get into quizzing in college with the answer to this question: "How does the Ku Klux Klan gets its name?" Answer in "Five Orange Pips" And try answering it!
3. Illusions - because it got me into my brief period of spirituality and philosophy.
4. Surely you're joking, Mr.Feynman - because it introduced me to Richard Feynman, the closest that anyone I know about has come to being a hero to me.
5. Isaac's Favorite Asimov - a collection of the master's favorite short stories that had me spell-bound with the sheer magic of his combining science fiction with humor and literary genius.
6. Catcher in the rye - because I identified with Holden Caulfield then, and because a married guy had a crush on me for that.
7. The Prophet - because it contains a lot of truth.
8. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - because it brought my childhood back to me!

And here I tag..
Parth
Tarun
Aparna
and also, Vivek

5 Comments:

Blogger aparna said...

Whaaa!!! i got tagged!! Am a very tempramental reader, but will post this soon :-)

Glad to see you are back!

4:48 PM  
Blogger phucker said...

Completed my tagging!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Parth said...

Done with my tagging too.

10:24 PM  
Blogger shod said...

welcome back gal ... :-)

10:24 AM  
Blogger aparna said...

hi there, my tags up, finally! :D

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home