Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Changes...for better or for worse?

This is quite a girly introspection, so consider yourself warned! I'm in a weird mood today, so sorry!
I was listening to a song earlier today which goes "And I miss you, like the deserts miss the rain" and I started thinking, how exactly do deserts miss the rain? Does the song mean "I miss you though I never had you" or "I miss you because you are such a rare occurrence" or "I miss you even though I have developed adaptations to function without you"?! You know, those lyrics are quite bad, if you think about it, and yet, I remember dedicating this song on a radio program to a boy I had a crush on, when he left the country. About a million years ago. And that made me think, what else about me has changed, other than becoming a critical cynic and scoffer of songs I once loved?
I remember watching a movie starring Tom Selleck more than 10 years ago with my uncle who asked me if I thought Tom Selleck was good-looking. I said, "Yuk no! He's old and has a mustache!" And yet, today I think he is so sexy! And today I can't believe I once thought Leonardo Di Caprio and Nick Carter (Backstreet Boys) were cute...now I can't help thinking how effeminate they look.
What if these changing preferences aren't restricted to looks (which we all know are going to fade one day)? One of my good friends thinks that I am changing with respect to my ideas about guys and relationships, so now I am slightly concerned. He thinks that of late, I've shown a propensity towards cute boys who make me feel good (or who just feel good!) I always thought I want geeky smart guys who'd make me laugh and make me think.
And then I wonder...what if I meet someone now and say, marry him for a certain set of reasons..what if I tire of those reasons and change later? What then?!

6 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

Are you planning to change your blog name from 'Curbside Prophet' to 'Cynical Bitch'? :-) By your theory, you should find a guy whom you absolutely dislike at this point in time. Over the course of the next 10 years, that will change :-) Its almost like buying a brand new car. Takes a while to break into

11:46 AM  
Blogger RS said...

rtd2, next time please warn me before you read my mind again! You actually read the mind that I wore a few weeks ago :)

And then I wonder...what if I meet someone now and say, marry him for a certain set of reasons..what if I tire of those reasons and change later? What then?!
I am terrified of this question and will now proceed to pretend that its preposterous and nobody ever asked it.

Also, re: the song, maybe "minnale, nee" has a better version, "paal mazhaiku kathirukum boomi alava?"...

...and the unky mood today, lets just call it another bizarre coincidence!

11:53 AM  
Blogger dinesh said...

RT,

For the different interpretations in that song, I doubt the writer would have put so much thought into it. And thankfully for him, the people that listen to the lyrics, don't put as much thought into it like you do !

Now, you know it's a given that some things will change as time passes by. Goes back to your argument about the different person crossing the same river. The novelty of the process is no longer there. And the person in us, is looking for newer rivers to cross all the time. For all we know, we might see before sunrise again 10 years from now, and go "was this the movie we liked ?" (I have a feeling we won't, just for agument sake :)). What we don''t know however is which things we'll change, and which things will remain ! It was fitting that you liked leo then, and it is fitting now that you don't like leo. There are things/people however, that we can't have afford to have a change of opinion about. If we tell ourselves that, it will help ! And I think, it's not like we'd start hating the husbands/wives we once liked. I think we'd start liking some things about him/her that we hated, and hating some things in him/her that we once liked ! That much change is allowed !

12:05 PM  
Blogger shod said...

hey gal ...

they say 'change is the only constant in life'

ps: beautiful number ... like the deserts miss the rain ...

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very insightful comments, you all..It all helped..I especially liked Parth's suggestion. Here I go to get myself a plaything with a face like Orlando Bloom's and a voice like Jeremy Irons' (no prize for guessing which movie I'm planning to watch today!)However, I must remain, yours truly,
Cynical Bitch!

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ive thought some of these same things. I have seen 19 and 20 year olds marrying off like there is no life tomorrow, and I think to myself...
The person I was at 20 is no where near the person I am now. How does someone that age and maturity level or immaturity level deal with their changes as well as their spouses changes.
Are people who get married so young stunted? Do they not change as much just to make things a bit easier on the relationship?
Who knows?

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home