Sunday, May 15, 2005

Somewhere Between Nowhere and Goodbye

The title of today's post is a line from one of the best movies I've seen recently - Million Dollar Baby. Saw it today, at long last - was quite a display of talent, exploration of issues of life, death, values, the usual ingredients of a good movie in my books. Plus, it made me cry, which makes it a darn good movie in my books :)
Another fantastic movie I caught finally, was the Motorcycle Diaries...it reminded me of all that we don't accomplish while we live our lives 'accomplishing things' and earning degrees and money, while the real contributions are left unmade. The process by which "Che" Guevara discovers this is what the movie is all about, a road trip with a buddy across Latin America, on a rickety old motorcycle (The Mighty One!) and what they find out about themselves and the people and what they can do for them, along the way. It reminded me of the meaning of words like 'idealism' and 'dreams' and 'integrity' and 'perseverance'..Watch it if you can.
The title of the post also reflects a little bit of how I feel right now. In an immediate sense, I am a few days from a Goodbye Akron, Hello Mumbai for my brother's wedding. In a larger sense, I am between nowhere and goodbye in my life. Soon after I return from India, I leave for an internship in Portland, Oregon. At least 5-6 months, with the possibility of extension. My advisor actually thinks that if all goes well, this could mean goodbye Akron for real! I wish I could say that with more certainty, but at the same time, there have been so many memories made here (even though I grumble about Akron being "nowhere"!) that it would feel strange for this chapter of my life to be over. Like Gael Garcia Bernal (to die for!!) reflects, as Guevara, in the Motorcycle Diaries, "Each moment seems split in two; melancholy for what was left behind and the excitement of entering a new land"
To these moments then, that we spend between nowhere and goodbye, split between melancholy and excitement, the ones that define our choices and our future...

6 Comments:

Blogger shod said...

do keep in touch between the phases ... n have a ball @ the wedding :-)

7:23 AM  
Blogger dinesh said...

RT,

I've debating about watching million dollar baby myself. Before my stupid friends can convince me to watch another of those action adventures, I'll ask them to read your blog :)

As for being caught between nowhere and goodbye, I was talking about this exact same thing with RS yesterday. I know how it feels, and am in similar phase right now. You must know how bad I am at dealing with these situations after my pittsburgh ordeals and I know how you felt when you came into akron. Maybe that experience can help us expect lesser from our new lands ?

8:26 AM  
Blogger Parth said...

Two movies on my list that are waiting to be caught. I am really curious what your post will sound like when you ultimately leave Akron for good :-) See you everywhere :-)

10:52 AM  
Blogger RS said...

To these moments indeed...another one of your posts that I had to read again; a lot conveyed...cohesively.

I guess in a way our entire lives sometimes become a series of getting caught between Nowhere and Goodbye, oscillating between melancholy and excitement...

8:13 PM  
Blogger aparna said...

hey

Have not watched either of those movies. High time i do. But i can totally identify with your thoughts. It's quite true each moment is indeed split in two. Everytime i have moved house/location/countries, i have had similar feelings about leaving that place because one does get attached to familiarity, but then the excitement of a new place and new experiences takes over. I guess im a bit of a gypsy :P And if i didnt have to think much about the money part...i would take some time off and travel through far off lands...actually you can do it, its totally doable. Save money and then take a few months off and travell...it doesnt need to be a luxury outing...but it could be very enriching!

Okay i have talked enough! sorry! couldnt hold back :P

And you have a good time in India :)

7:10 AM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Thanks, all..
Just a couple of responses to your responses - Din, I don't know if it's about lowering your expectations as much as improving your experiences, taking initiative, being little daring, etc.
Aparna, girl, u know my dreams, and u don't even know me :)

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home