Saturday, April 30, 2005

H2G2, M2, AFBC and RTD2

So looks like this blog is fast becoming a popular culture watch..No apologies, I am a product of the media, as are YOU!!
Ok, item # 1: Watched the much much much anticipated (at least by me!) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy yesterday. It wasn't as bad a let-down as I feared it would be. It was very entertaining definitely, but at the same time, I felt as if it was almost shallow. Not that the books are a great source of intellectual stimulation, but still..It's the same peeve I have with several books that have been made into the movie - my imagination just seems to do a much better job! However, it is definitely worth a dekko, and I had lots of fun. The new character is interesting, especially thanks to John Malkovich, and the casting of Arthur Dent couldn't have been better. My favorite character certainly was Marvin..if you must be a paranoid android, take a few pointers from him. And Zaphod is much more goofy and almost likeable, which isn't how I remember him from the book (but that was 9 years ago!). I think the film did a terrific job of catering to people who've read the book because they're familiar with Deep Thought and the dolphins and the Heart of Gold, but for newbies, all that stuff just blends into a bizarre movie about bizarre nothings.
Anyway, nutshell review - satisfied, but not tremendously excited about it. My anticipatory impulses are now turned to July 16th, for You-Know-What!
item #2: M2 is Mama Mia, the Broadway musical..it was playing here all this week, and let me tell you, it was the most fun I had had for a long time at a show. At the risk of sounding profoundly un-cool, let me announce that the music of Abba RULES!!
And, to add to my already full week of movie/music excitement-giddiness, I got "Almost Famous: Untitled - the Bootleg Cut" from the library yesterday. Almost Famous is one of my favorite movies already, but this DVD actually made me think criminal thoughts of not returning it and reporting it missing..it ROCKS!! (Pun intended!) The music, the commentary by Cameron Crowe, and all the special features make it truly special.
So my mind is going slightly mad, as Freddie Mercury put it..It's been saying things like "Mama mia..Don't Panic..here I go again..rockstars have kidnapped my son...inter-galactic hyperspatial bypass...feverdog!"

9 Comments:

Blogger Avinash said...

Whats ABFC?

1:36 PM  
Blogger Avinash said...

BTW, I havent read Shawshank. Will get that now.

1:37 PM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

AFBC is Almost Famous - the Bootleg Cut. And I assume you know that Stephen King wrote the 'novella' "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption"

4:09 PM  
Blogger RS said...

rtd2, kind of dual deja vu! - I saw hitch hiker's first day first show...did not think it as funny as the book and also this.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Parth said...

What surprised me the first time I saw Shawshank Redemption was that it was written by Stephen King. Of course, I don't know how good the book is, but the fact that it was actually a great movie, not from the horror genre, and that was written by Stephen King was great.

11:37 PM  
Blogger phucker said...

Hmph, you may be about popular culture, but it was my blog which began with the title "Life, The Universe and Everything!" :-p
I wish I was here on the May 16 :-( Right now I don't know where I'll be - yes you heard it here first - TTG may be leaving the US of A soon....

9:15 AM  
Blogger aparna said...

Oh no you are not un-cool. ABBA rules big time, always will!

Unless of course im un-cool as well ;-D

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parth - ya, I think he's done a few other non-horror stuff (was Green Mile him too?)
Tarun - is May 16th the Sith? I am still awaiting the sixth Harry Potter book, not so much the Sith, sorry.I know, I don't deserve my name:(
Hello Aparna, co-uncool-ABBA fan.u shud definitely catch Mama Mia if it comes to your city. 20-25 songs packed into a tight 2 hours :)
RT

6:57 AM  
Blogger phucker said...

Hey, never realized they were releasing within days of each other. Two reasons to be glad! (or sad!)

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home