Saturday, March 19, 2005

Getting HAMmered

This past week I was in the Magic City, in the Ham, in the Big B'ham, in sweet home Alabama..all different ways of saying I was in Birmingham, AL. Some highlights:
1. Feeling important because the folks I was doing the project for paid for hotel, food, airfare etc. I know it's common, but it's the first time it's happened to me, okay, so let me enjoy it!
2. Meeting some fabulous people - it's wonderful because every time I travel I end up meeting the most interesting people. My friend Robyn calls me a "Cool People Magnet" :)
3. Hanging out with 2 cute-as-buttons gay boys checking out other boys together - another first for me I admit!
4. Eating some really good food almost every day
5. Drinking after a loohoong time
6. Having to fill out forms to get into bars/clubs (I know, crazy, huh!! especially when I was clearly not in a position to be writing OR thinking!)
7. Being the only girl in a group of boys who were too drunk to realize that I am not 'one of the boys'. So when they started telling me "Dude..check out that miniskirt, dude" I totally fell off my chair laughing
8. The Civil Rights Institute - it is a brilliant museum documenting the entire civil rights movement, especially the 60's Black rights stuff. Never before has a museum made me almost cry...especially the "I have a dream" speech on big screen.
9. The Birmingham Museum of Art - a very very pleasant surprise.
10. The rampant blatant discrimination occuring even today - this was my first time in the South and now I know why it has a reputation for not being very liberal, to put it mildly.
11. However, the famous Southern hospitality was very evident, so I had a really pleasant stay.
12. Learning some new vocabulary - "That's so T" Or "I was so T" which can precede almost anything,"to yak" means "to puke", "alcomahol" means "alcohol", "hammed up" means "wasted" or "hammered" or "drunk" or "stoned" as it applies. I have also started saying "Y'all" again. Applying all that knowledge, "Y'all should have seen him, that alcomahol made him really yak. He was so T-for-totally hammed up".

Okay, that was that.

I'm going to share with you fine folks from time to timewhat I'm currently obsessed/occupied with, whether it's music, books, activities, people (maybe not!), ideas. For now, I'm maha-obsessed with Franz Ferdinand, especially the song "Take me out" I've heard it about 4 times today already.

2 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

Interesting trip report. I can vouch for the cool people magnet. However, up here in the North, it can also mean crazy :-) 'Alcomahol' is a brilliant literary concotion

6:07 PM  
Blogger Parth said...

Interesting trip report. I can vouch for the cool people magnet. However, up here in the North, it can also mean crazy :-) 'Alcomahol' is a brilliant literary concotion

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home