Thursday, March 10, 2005

The God of small (pain)tings!

Another contrived title for a post...maybe you'll like it, then again..maybe you won't!
In a relieving departure from the time of my last post, I decided to do something about my inertia today. I started a painting today...one of those copy-a-masterpiece-by-following-these-really-simple-instructions-you-moron pictures. It was "A vase of irises" by Van Gogh. Man, it seems straighforward enough, but I lost patience after a while. Which is incredible considering the fact that it is a tiny little thing, with only about 5 colors being used! And it also is a pity, because all that's left is the table the vase is standing on. My painting looks good from far, but it's really far from good. The original, on the other hand..the simplicity, the depth, the balance, the color, the freshness, WOW! I am not at all into art appreciation or anything, but I do understand how you can really get into that stuff. Imitation is the surest form of flattery, but my imitation was the surest form of appreciation for Vincent's greatness :)

In other news, I was chatting with one of my best friends in India today, and she happens to be a very religious Catholic. Now anyone who knows me knows that my feelings towards religion are at best, skeptical. We approached the topic warily (and promised to continue when we were face to face). But the conversation was really interesting.

An excerpt:
Friend: I am not worried about getting offended or offending you because I love you
Me: You love me despite the fact that I'm going to hell?! *Because of course, if she's a real Christian she must believe that we who have not been 'saved' will have to go to hell!*
Friend: I don't think you're going to hell.
Me: Good to know!
Friend: Because I think that the God who made you and me is a just God.
Me: *Here's the good part, the one I'm so proud about!* And I think the God that you and me made is just a god.
See, same words, different meaning!

5 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

Yup, that was smart :-) Are you doing the 'Paint by numbers'? Don't you find this attempt to simplify great works a little odd? I know it doesn't diminish the value of the original, but there's more to the 'starry night' than Van Gogh's vivid colors and distinct brushstrokes

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, not doing paint by numbers.This one shows u a print of the original and tells u wot colors u use, (and provides the paints and brush and an outline of the pictures)and that u start with the light colors and go on to dark ones and then fill in details, etc. More like a teacher in print.
Yes, I do find "this attempt to simplify great works a little odd" but hey, it's a good way to pass the time and create a blog post!

8:37 AM  
Blogger shod said...

hey ... wanna c the masterpiece when its done ;-)

12:57 AM  
Blogger phucker said...

Question: Y are you always anonymous these days, RT?

6:42 AM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

I'm anonymous these days? Well..sometimes I'm just lazy to sign in and everything. No profound reasons of shying away from the world I'm afraid :)

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home