Saturday, November 12, 2005

Transformed!

Today I discovered a few things
About myself and how things have come to be.
When realization dawned this afternoon
It shocked, saddened and amazed me.

It started when I decided that
My beautification tools were lying ignored
The face mask and wax strips and bleach
Were begging to be used... (Actually, I was bored!)

With some trepidation and uncertainty
I put on an organic face peel
And immediately my eyes started to burn...
(Oh, anything to enhance that sex appeal!)

I suppose 'organic' meant 'filled with ammonia'
So I closed my teary eyes and put on a CD
"Ah!" I thought, "Some good old feminine pampering..."
The thought of relaxing making me giddy.

"See, I can be lady-like if I decide to!" I thought
As I sat on my new IKEA chair
That I'd assembled this morning (how manly of me!)
With a pink face and an expectant air.

I sat and rocked back and forth
As the music played on quietly
Three minutes went by and I relaxed
But soon I could no longer let it be.

By the time the second song came on
I was almost crazy with guilt
I jumped up and put on the dishwasher
So much for the ambience I'd built.

How could I sit and not do anything?
Not even watch TV or read a book?
The silence in my head was deafening
All that inactivity, oh, the toll it took!

I had forgotten how to do nothing
How to relax and be still.
As the face mask dried and the CD played
All I could think of was my phone bill!

It dawned on me then
That I am indeed my mother's child
For all my lofty plans of being lazy
The act of doing so makes me wild!

That doesn't mean I'm a workaholic
In fact, I'm quite the opposite!
It's just that I've lost the ability
To be quiet and rested and...just sit.

I suppose growing up does that to you
With its countless worries and distractions
Before I knew it I've become one of 'them'
An adult, a bore, a woman of action!

I ran the dishwasher, paid my bill,
Washed my face and wryly told my reflection,
"Well, the organic peel bottle was right,
I can really feel the transformation!"

P.S. True story. Happened to me today. Wahhhh! I'm a grown-up!!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay. I was not going to read it with all the beautification tools. But, me too tries to be a guy sometimes.

That was nice :D

11:04 PM  
Blogger aparna said...

awww... cmon!! you and bore... naah! and if adults are bore, then uhh, what am i! :-(

whats with your word verification? this is what i got! - veggg :D

11:05 PM  
Blogger the Monk said...

alrite, that was funny...

6:04 AM  
Blogger dinesh said...

Real nice...I wish I could do that too..put my daily chores/activities into a cute little poem like that ! :)

Yeah, when I do all the hardwork to assemble a chair, so I can relax...once I am done with the assembly, I don't want to relax any more...and when you're hungry, you try to cook a good meal for youreself. When you're done cooking, what you had visualized..you're not hungry anymore !

8:50 AM  
Blogger Parth said...

Excellent verse! Welcome to the adult world.

10:34 AM  
Blogger bluesman said...

Congrats on your new found discovery. A literal trial by fire eh :)

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

- SS: Thanks for enduring past the unmentionables :)
- Aparna: u're vegggy sweet!
- The Monk: Thanks!
- Din: I know just what u mean about the cooking...so I have taken to hardly cooking :)
- Parth, Anup: Don't know if I should feel welcome/congratulated, but thank you.
RT

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwwwesome! so cute and true and funny all at once! can i have your permission to share it with a few friends you dont know?

10:13 PM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Sure Adele...I am flattered that u want to :)

8:35 PM  
Blogger sd said...

Wah! Wah! Wah!...I have often seen that pondering over simple things in life produce the most beautiful thoughts. BTW - "woman of action" yes...but "bore" (when you can write poetry like this)... Nah....thats not true......

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home