Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Of Earth, Rain, Wind and Fire

Nope, not a lecture about the balance of elements or of the ancient arts of healing naturally (although I once did give that talk! In another lifetime, it seems like!!) This one's about my last few days...

Earth
I watched the movie 1947, Earth. Finally. And came away very impressed and more than a little depressed. It's a beautifully shot and directed film, with good acting (except for Rahul Khanna, but he's cute and it was his debut, so he's forgiven!) and very very interesting characters. It made me wonder about the beast within each of us that Aamir Khan's character talks about...What would release the one within me? What would it feel like? Would I recognize it?

Rain
It has been raining for the last couple of days almost incessantly, and the weather channel promises more of the same. I complained yesterday about how it's depressing me no end, when I was offered a different perspective: Rain should make you think of life, of growth, of freshness and beauty. Hmmm...I do love the rain, but when it's warm and I'm not running late for work without an umbrella, feeling like a failure. Again.

Wind
As in I'm going to blow my own trumpet. I got a much better offer than I'd expected for the job, and I'm going to take it, obviously! At least I know I'll be here for a while, now. It's an opportunity that pretty much fell into my lap, and I feel lucky.

Fire
As in firecrackers and diyas and Yellow Dots in a Black Sky* - in short, Diwali. I gave up the fireworks as soon as I learned about the concept of pollution and child labor, but nevertheless, I used to enjoy Diwali because it always meant family and good food and sweets and neighbors being neighborly and new clothes and forced temple visits and singing and visiting grandparents and the happiness of Diwali vacation.
*Rare and priceless piece of art ;)

So there you have it, four basic elements of life...if only this meant there's some balance in my life...It doesn't feel like it! Maybe I need some, wood, is it? The missing element? For now I'll be content with listening for the fifth time today to "Guncha", a song from "Main, meri patni aur woh" that has captured me, especially Mohit 'Dooba Dooba' Chauhan's hesitant but heartfelt unplugged version. After all, as I found out, "Guncha" means flower-bud and that has some wood, right?!

Hosh bekhabar se huye unke bagair
Woh jo humse keh na sake, dil ne keh diya

Saaki ne phir se mera jaam bhar diya... (Maybe that's what I need!!)

Guncha koi mere naam kar diya...

3 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

Yellow Dots in a Black Sky. I am patenting it.

3:20 PM  
Blogger sd said...

Congratulations on the job offer! Is there something like an e-party:-) BTW that song is really very nice.

5:25 PM  
Blogger aparna said...

oh! i just listened to this guncha song, its beautiful! i listened to it with my eyes closed... beautiful!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home