Monday, October 24, 2005

The birth of an emotion

Long ago, someone lent me a book called "The Kids' Book of Questions", which contained questions that kids often ask, that strike at the very heart of a matter. Like "What happens when someone dies?" and "If I color my hair green will you still walk with me to the mall?"
In my then-energetic state, I wrote down many of those questions, and I've gone back to them sometimes and watched some answers change over the years, while some remain the same.
One of these questions was, "If someone gave you a magic potion that will take away pain forever, would you drink it?" (Sort of like the blue pill-red pill scenario in the Matrix, maybe?) My first impulse was to say hell yeah! Until I discussed it with a friend, who as vehemently said no. That surprised me, because he was one of those soulful brooding types who struck me as being constantly depressed. He then wisely pointed out that if he obtained the magic to never feel any pain, how would he feel any joy?
Because isn't that what most emotions are? The absence of their opposite emotion? Happiness is more obvious to someone who has experienced unhappiness. Siddhartha became the Buddha only because he witnessed death, disease and suffering in a life that was completely devoid of it till then.
Thus, we come to Aarti's Third Law of Emotionality*:
"There cannot exist an emotion without an opposite, if unequal, and maybe hitherto not experienced, emotion"

A corollary: "The greater the intensity of experienced emotion, the larger the hypothetical space comprising the possibility of experiencing its opposite emotion"
*Important Note: These laws are utterly volatile, subject to change at whim and fancy of law-maker, and if not changed, possibly apply to her alone!

There will be laughter after pain;
There will be freedom after strain;
Lost chances will return again;
Although every boon has its bane,
Not every effort is in vain!


Sorry about semi-manic-depressive-incomprehensible ramblings...felt the need to unburden a little and rhyme a lot today!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would say no to the 'potion for pain' question too- because pain is designed to be a signal to our minds, bodies and souls that something bigger is wrong.

i've grown to accept pain and use pain for the purpose its designed- to deal with whatever's wrong, e.g.- a decayed tooth, a sense of inadequacy, a stagnant relationship.

it's worked everytime- the pain goes away.

10:01 PM  
Blogger sd said...

Nice post. It reminds me of the Emily Dickinson poem - "Success is Counted Sweetest".

12:39 AM  
Blogger OMG said...

I would never touch any of the "magic potions" with a barge pole. If my fairy tale memory serves me correctly, princes/princesses always got into hot water for taking these potions.

But yes, I think there is more than a little truth in the universal duality principle. Bill Gates is who is he is today, due to the binary system after all! No one can beat that!

5:49 AM  
Blogger dinesh said...

Hey You RT,

You're getting pretty good readership these days eh ? :)

I am not convinced that an emotion cannot be present without the opposite being present. But I can't argue that, because every emotion does have an oppostie emotion. In any case, your disclaimer was funny !

6:09 AM  
Blogger shod said...

hey aarti ...

u write awesome blogs ... im soon becoming a fan of ur ramblings :-) !!

how've u been gal ??

11:58 AM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Adele, ma belle, as usual, I bow to thy wisdom (missing wisdom tooth notwithstanding!)
SD..I looked up the poem, yes, indeed! Wah..what a compliment, I reminded someone of Emily Dickinson!
Ramya, lol!! Btw..u sound like a Wodehouse fan, are u?
Din, just coz u're one of the readers, huh?? Ya..I should have that disclaimer to my life in general.
Shradha madam, kaisi ho? Welcome back, and thank you!

7:44 PM  
Blogger OMG said...

Damn! it must have been the "hot water" that revealed my Wodehouse-ian love of wierd expressions! I have tried to keep it a secret for fear of a mob attack :):)

Thanks for the kudos on my site. Much appreciated.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home