Friday, November 04, 2005

Addicted to love...

...Haha...now that you're reading curiously, hoping for some juicy tidbits about my love life, let me disappoint you. This is another crazy idiosyncratic post about a list. To be more precise, a list of songs from movies. English movies, because I have neither the expertise nor the slightest idea of where to start if I had to choose from the thousands of Hindi movies, with the average 8 songs in each :)
This list may not contain great songs or great movies, but they are special in my book because they fit the theme/mood/moment/scene exactly right, and make each other just a little more magical. Read on and if you recognize any songs or movies you'll know what I'm talking about. And feel free to add on.

1. Addicted to love. Sung by a throaty sexy-voiced Robert Palmer; "Cocktail". Every time I listen to this song, all I see is (a very cute!) Tom Cruise turning down the music while the patrons in the bar yell "Might as well face it, you're addicted to love!!!"

2. Pretty Woman. Roy Orbison...perhaps his biggest hit (unfortunately) thanks to the movie. Julia Roberts' walk down Rodeo Drive, the modern day fairy tale of a movie. Need I say more?!

3. (I've had the) Time of my life. Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes sing in the climax of "Dirty Dancing", a movie with all great songs and fantastic dancing, especially in this song. Oh Patrick Swayze, come give me the time of my life!

4. My Sharona. The Knack. Featured in "Reality Bites". It's a fantastic scene; This group of angst ridden youngsters enter a store and the song is playing in the background. Janeane Garofalo (I can't spell it ok?!Sue me!) asks the irritated manager to turn it up and she and Wynona Ryder start this crazy dance as Ethan Hawke tries to embarassedly ignore them. Fabulous scene!

5. Raindrops keep falling on my head. B.J. Thomas sings this, one of my favorite cheer-me-up songs. Featured in the ultra-fabulous "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". Paul Newman tries out his new cycle, with Katherine Ross on it at first and then as she looks on, tries all kinds of stunts culminating in being chased by a bull, as the song plays on. Charming...

6. In your eyes. Peter Gabriel. In what is probably the best instance of a movie making a song popular, and vice-versa, and probably one of the most famous scenes in movie history, John Cusack holds up a boom-box playing this song as a serenade in "Say Anything".

7. Unchained melody. Despite sounding decidedly cheesy, let me say I still think the scene in "Ghost" with the pottery and Demi's sexy shirt and the ultra sexy Patrick Swayze and The Righteous Brothers crooning in the background is one of the sexiest scenes. Ever.

8.Tiny Dancer. As featured in "Almost Famous" which is amongst my top five all-time favorite movies for sure. The song plays as the rock band is on a bus, having had a major 'incident' and being close to breaking up. But Elton John reminds them why they love rock and music as they all pick it up one by one and end up singing the song together.

9. Say a little prayer. Speaking of singing a song together, this is the only song on my list that is not by the original singer/band. In the movie "My Best Friend's Wedding", a dashing Rupert Everett starts this song at dinner and ends up having the entire table singing with him and being charmed by him. What makes this song even more special to me is that my best friends and I sang it at our best friend's wedding :)

10. Lose yourself. Eminem's passionate and poetic outburst which transformed millions' ideas about rap and Detroit's "8 mile". I'll stop here, with some lyrics from this song...

You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance, to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo

8 Comments:

Blogger aparna said...

oh man! i totally dig some of these songs... i mean i luuuurrrvee Dirty Dancing songs!

Apart from 'I've Had the time of my life', theres another one from Dirty Dancing that i like a lot - 'Hungry Eyes'

Yes 'Addicted to Love' is also one of those songs, as is 'My Sharona'... 'Raindrops keeps falling'... is well a tad too sweet :P and i totally totally love 'Unchained Melody'!

Theres one more song that i would like to add here, 'Say a little prayer for you' (i think thats what its called) from 'My Best Friend's Wedding'... like this one too!

Okay, i need to listen to these songs. Now! :D

7:17 PM  
Blogger aparna said...

and oh also, Footloose :D

7:22 PM  
Blogger sd said...

"Raindrops keep falling on my head" is simply fatabulous! Is it also one of my pick-up song too! I have not hrd at least 4-5 songs in the list ...I will be trying to do that...

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Aparna, Say a little prayer is #9 on my list. I almost included Footloose, but wanted to stop at 10 :)
And SD, what exactly do u mean by 'pick up' song? ;) I mean, it won't work to charm the ladies dude, but it's a good song to pick your spirits up :)

11:48 PM  
Blogger the Monk said...

Lose Yourself....is an orchestra of passion...corny, but appropriate, I think...

6:48 AM  
Blogger aparna said...

oh yeah! how did i miss that!! :P

8:09 AM  
Blogger sd said...

@ Anon. (rtd2 ?),

At this stage in my life the phrase "pick up" is almost exclusively reserved for the dear ol' spirits :-)

11:22 AM  
Blogger kamal said...

Absolutely true about No. 7

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home