Friday, November 11, 2005

Dancing Nancies

Could I have been
A parking lot attendant
Could I have been
A millionaire in Bel-air
Could I have been
Lost somewhere in Paris
Could I have been
Your little brother
Could I have been anyone other than me
Could I have been oh, anyone other than me
Could I have been anyone?

Another day, another Dave Mathews Band song inspiration...The name of the song is "Dancing Nancies" (don't ask me why, I don't know!)...but it's a song that makes you think about all the 'coulds' and 'woulds' and 'if onlys'.
This alternate reality stuff is something that I am really intrigued by. A sleight of hand, a twist of fate (apologies to U2!), and voila! I could have been anyone other than me!

Could I have been
A junkie;
Bill Gates;
Bill Watterson;
My grandmother;
A boy (*shudder* !!);
An inmate on death row;
A talented but struggling artist;
The lead singer in a punk rock band;
The writer of closed captioning captions;
The bored magician in a children's birthday party;
The girl who topped the class instead of always being second;
The girl who always failed the class instead of always being second;
The person who ended up being with the person I wish I'd ended up with;
The person who does the cartoons on the sides of the pages of MAD magazine;
A pen-pushing oily-haired desk clerk in a government building in Madhya Pradesh;
An industrial/organizational psychologist who grew up in Bombay and liked Dave Mathews(!!);


Anyone other than me?

4 Comments:

Blogger aparna said...

i could have been
a tragedy queen thespian
a lead singer in some alternative rock band?!
or at least a playback singer perhaps?!
a writer with a cottage by the beach would have been nice

---

like it! like the way you built the christmas tree! :D

3:52 AM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

I personally think it's cool to be a photographer in Hong Kong with a flair for words, Aparna ;)
As for the Christmas tree..it was supposed to be just a triangle, but thanks to the giant side-bar, it looks like this!!
And awww..thanks Tarun...that's awfully sweet of u.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

reminded me of something this shepherd boy turned King and poet/ song writer- David wrote a long time back-
"For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there were none of them."

i like this because it reminds me that no child is 'unwanted'/ an 'accident', a 'freak of nature' but loved so much from the very beginning.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually have no idea how I came about to this site, but if you like the song Dancing Nancies by DMB, check out the song Seek Up by them as well.
-Someone who is aimlessly browsing the web....

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home