Saturday, October 29, 2005

Haiku

Another experiment with words and poetry...
Instead of finishing up the work I was supposed to have done yesterday, instead of preparing for the arrival of my uncle, instead of Saturday morning cleaning, I sit down trying to write Haiku. All I know is the basic rule - it has to follow the 5-7-5 syllable meter. I know that sometimes a mention of a season is deemed necessary, that Haiku writers avoid the use of the personal pronoun...I don't know much else beyond this. With that half-baked knowledge, and no real determination to stick to even these rules, words flowed pretty easily :)
Here are some samples:


Winter closing in,
Threatens to
Freeze these moments soon.


Ev’ry day the sky
Is pretty
In a diff’rent way

The fall sky is pink
And so is
My face flushed at your gaze

Naive drops of dew
Don’t they know
That the sun is out?

The season changes
A child laughs
Life goes on again

Work remains undone
I escape
Into Haiku world!

7 Comments:

Blogger sd said...

"Work reminas undone" But I think time is being spent in a very nice and constructive fashion!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

loverly! enjoyed it and could see you in upcoming winter there writing your haiku!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Parth said...

I tried my hand at these a while back and loved it, given my anyway minimalist style of writing. I am inspired to try that again. Thanks. Nice work here. I liked the third one the best.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank u thank u!!
Parth - minimalist? you??? just kidding..ya..let's see the attempts.
RT

5:46 PM  
Blogger aparna said...

this is nice! :-)

didnt know much about Haiku either

7:43 PM  
Blogger sd said...

Happy Diwali!

10:56 AM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Thanks Aparna! And Happy Diwali, SD and everyone else, now that there's less than 3 hours of Diwali left ;)

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home