Monday, October 10, 2005

Arz kiya hai..

"So what if today's gone, there's always tomorrow"
What she couldn't find so far, how will she get tomorrow?


Time is not very fair in matters of death or love
The dead and the loved ignore today and forget tomorrow.


She sits alone today, with little hope or clue
That they didn't today, but would have met, tomorrow.


She had always refused Time to have his way with her
Her dreams await her, if only she would let tomorrow.


If she could only see the future today she'd know
Her unknown destiny will be met tomorrow.


Do not despair that Time is running out.
Faith, Zaara, for there is hope yet, tomorrow.


My oh-so-feeble attempt at writing a ghazal in English, which sadly, is the only language I dare experiment in. Please don't be too critical...I know that ghazal-fans are very passionate and will probably see this as blasphemy. I only plead ignorance and a naive exploratory impulse.
I have started a rocky affair with this beautiful art form only recently - me of the "gender-free Bambaya Hindi and snobby English only" fame is falling crazily and surely in love with Urdu thanks to ghazals. I was given some reading material on the history and technique of ghazal-writing, and tried to follow some of those rules here. I know there are others I may be ignorant about, so any help will be greatly appreciated!


1. "Radif" - Every verse or couplet must end with the same word or phrase (which ends both lines of the first couplet - "Matla")

2. "Kaafiya" - The word before the Radif in each couplet must rhyme
3. "Maqta" - The shaayar's (poet's) name or pen-name appears in the last sher (couplet). Some of you know that I sometimes call myself "Zaara", like at a restaurant making reservations to some idiot host who can't pronounce "Aarti"!
4. Each couplet should be able to live on its own. No story telling then, no links from one verse to the other. The idea is that if you wanted you could drop one or more while quoting/singing it.
5. "Beher" or meter or length - In case you didn't notice, I didn't even try to follow this one. The others were hard enough to keep in mind!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:16 PM  
Blogger sd said...

"Do not despair that Time is running out.
Faith, Zaara, for there is hope yet, tomorrow"

Nice!

10:19 PM  
Blogger Parth said...

I believe you have all the rules in place (I need to scrutinize it thoroughly once more to be sure). The more important thing is that you attempted something novel and it came out very well. Congratulations. I am proud of you.

8:35 AM  
Blogger RS said...

Excellent attempt, certainly not oh-so-feeble! Very nice ghazal :)

8:48 AM  
Blogger aparna said...

waah waah! kya baat hai!

sorry, i know only this much... but very brave attempt and a good one too! who knows you might be able to start a new trend in the blog world!

i listen to ghazals only if i am really in the mood to. i used to stay away from them earlier, but have warmed up to them a bit, thanks to, i guess, age! :D

3:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for all the support you guys. Yeah, I felt brave putting it here, Aparna!
RT

5:51 PM  
Blogger dinesh said...

RT,

Good effort buddy ! Maybe we should try to find a tune for this now ! I still don't have a comp at home..but I will shortly and when I do, I promise, I will listen to all those ghazals you wanted me to !

6:33 AM  
Blogger bluesman said...

ooh not a bad start.. I hope you get really good at it, doesn't hurt to know a person (well kinda) who can break into a sher at the drop of a hat.

Voh Sadak Ke Us Paar Thi Hum Sadak Ke Is Paar The...

Kuch Hum Aage Badhe, Kuch Voh Aage Badhi ...
Hum Kuch Aur Aage Badhe, ...Voh Bhi Kuch Aur Aage Badhi Hum Aur Bhi Aage Badhe, Voh Bhi Aur Aage Badhi...

Ab Hum Sadak Ke Us Paar Hein, Aur Voh Sadak Ke Is Paar Hein.

7:53 AM  
Blogger bluesman said...

see what I mean about "good" sher's

8:14 AM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Waah, Anup ustad, waah! Yeah, such perfection I can only dream of achieving ;)
Thanks anyways, Anup & Din :)

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home