Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Poetry in Motion

I travel by bus everyday to and from work, and I've noticed something I've not seen in any other city's public transport - poetry! There's a program called "Poetry in motion" whereby select poems from (I think) local poets are displayed in the Trimet buses. Not only are they a good way to spend an otherwise uneventful journey, sometimes the pieces are surprisingly good. Today I read this on my way home, and because I don't want to forget it, here it is:

I Confess

I stalked her
in the grocery store: her crown
of snowy braids held in place by a great silver clip,
her erect bearing, radiating tenderness,
the way she placed yogurt and avocados in her basket,
beaming peace like the North Star.
I wanted to ask, "what aisle did you find
your serenity in, do you know how
to be married for 50 years, or how to live alone,
excuse me for interrupting, but you seem to possess
some knowledge that makes the earth burn and turn on its axis"
but we don't request such things from strangers
nowadays. So I said, "I love your hair."

--Alison Luterman

5 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

Graffiti have become an art form in this country, and a surprising one at that. This is a more organized form of the same. Cheers to that idea.

10:10 AM  
Blogger sd said...

It a lovely poem!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Hul said...

first time in your blog, read most of the posts. understood some of them. was nice visiting your blog. cheers

1:34 PM  
Blogger aparna said...

lovely!

12:57 AM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Yeah...poetry in motion I suppose is like a legit form of graffiti, but graffiti is really something super..especially in cities like New York, not so much in yuppy gentrified 'cultural' Portland :)
And Hello Hul, you made me laugh...keep visiting :)

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home