Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Say na, say na...

Unfortunately, my mind is unable to 'say na' anything, so I'll do another quick review.

I saw "Bluffmaster" this past Friday in Seattle. Maybe it was the 6 gruelling hours I spent in traffic before reaching, maybe it was the YUMMY Abhishek (I'm quite sure it was!), maybe it was the fantastic music, maybe it was the company I was in...I had a really enjoyable time at this movie.
It was really refreshing to watch a movie with an interesting storyline, real personality and some fantastic lines. It was surprisingly cocky at times, irritatingly silly at times (very few) and overall great timepass.

Some highlights to watch for (Don't worry...No spoilers):
1. Abhishek's appalling clothes which manage to look good on him. Don't miss the pink floral shirt! And of course, the red shirt and the "Bluffmaster" pimp rings and fur in the end.
2. Riteish Deshmukh - a purposefully over-the-top performance that deserves special mention.
3. Lots of funny scenes. Like when Dittu suggests the idea of a partnership like Bonnie and Clyde, or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Roy cuts him short with "Desi bol!!"
4. The great music. I must say this soundtrack took some time to grow on me, especially the initially irritating "Say na, say na" but now I love it. Vishal-Shekar's idea to use international artistes like Trickbaby, Arash, etc. intermingled with classics like "Sabse bada rupaiya" (which sets a great tone for the film in the beginning) and "Tadbeer se bigdi hui" is a stroke of genius.
5. My favorite of course, is Abhishek's rap "Right here, right now" which has its own video at the end of the movie. Which, unfortunately, the theater folks cut short just when Abhishek says "Dayummnn"! Damn!
6. The categorization of baddies as different types of fish - right from Bangda/Pomfret to Shark and Whale! Tu kis type ki machli hai?

I'll close this post with my favorite lines from my favorite song on this album:
Waqt ka kya bharosa
Banke paani beh jaaye
Kal agar na mil paaye
Reh na jaaye baat baaki
Right here, right now...

3 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

True blue Aby Baby fan, as was apparent through and after the movie. Someone should get him to read this blog entry :-)

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really love that song..and loving Abhishek even more these days!!cant wait for the movie to be released here!So, thanks for the encouraging review girl!

11:23 PM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Hey Parth..do that, please!! And Naim, welcome. Yeah, I did read your blog..glad u enjoyed the movie too!
Mars, darling...so good to see u back here! When u watch it, listen for the background score in various scenes (it doesn't appear on the soundtrack, so u have to watch the movie). I'm sure u're the only person in the whole world who'll get as excited as I did when I heard it. It's obviously a tune copied from a song that's dear to both of us, especially me!

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home