Wednesday, December 14, 2005

For you a thousand times over!

I'm reading "The Kite Runner" (almost done...even flipped to the end and satisfied myself that I'd known it all along!). This phrase is taken from the book, and is the phrase that haunts the protagonist throughout because his friend yells it out before going to run his kite, and that run changes their lives forever.
Set mostly in Afghanistan, a little in America and Pakistan, it reads almost like a direct insight into the deepest recesses of a man's mind. It's a story about friendship, betrayal, guilt, cowardice and courage, and ultimately, redemption of the kind that makes you believe in destiny. It's a story of politics and its potential for ripping apart lives literally and figuratively. It is a story of growing up years after you're grown up. It's a story about the loss of one's land, one's 'watan', one's identity. And about 'a way to be good again'.
I am really thankful for the fact that I am reading again. The magic of books is that they transport you to lives and cultures you may never have imagined otherwise. While I've occasionally mentioned books and music and movies in this blog, I have never done a review before, and part of the reason I am doing it is I wanted to write something in this space! Another part of the reason is that I wanted to share this and make a semi-public commitment:
Even if this story and the writing fade from my fickle memory, I hope that this phrase is something that will stay with me: "For you, a thousand times over!"
I hope to say that someday and mean it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

It was a thoroughly enjoyable read, especially since we can 'get' some of the customs and social mores of the Afghanis described in the book.

10:50 AM  
Blogger aparna said...

:-) nicely put. Will try and get hold of the book. But i have been sans-books for a while now, havent been able to concentrate.

However, i agree to the part that books transport you to lives and cultures you may never have known otherwise.

Hopefully, more book reviews will follow! :-)

PS. you have the most weird/complicated word verifications! Tongue twisters as word-verifications! :P

kncjdedu! :-O

7:36 PM  
Blogger RS said...

I was apprehensive about reading the book because I kinda expected it to have a powerful effect on me...but I read it, it had that effect and am glad :)

12:24 PM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

I wouldn't really call this book 'enjoyable', but it beats boredom and unemployment :) And Aparna,u can't blame me for the word verifications! Yeah Ramya, I hear u about the apprehension..but it's not half as depressive as House of Sand and Fog, let me tell u!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Vivek Sharma said...

Must find this one now... Thanks for the review... All books recommended by u have turned out to be brilliant reads!

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home