Monday, November 28, 2005

Of moonshine and fog

I returned to work today and the expected enquiries about "How was your weekend?" This otherwise routine question actually demanded a justifiably substantive reply this time, but I must admit, I had to disappoint my eager audience. I mumbled an incoherent "Good" or "Fabulous" thinking how hypocritical I was being, because my weekend was rather tame. All I did apart from go out couple of times, and chat with my long lost friends, was eat and sleep and read and watch High Fidelity. Again.
And cry over "House of Sand and Fog". I saw the movie sometime last year, and it was one of those movies that made me want to read the book. And a sadist I must be, because I knew the incredibly painful story, remember the feeling I had at the end of the movie though I'd forgotten the details, and yet I sought out this book, placed a hold in the library and traveled over an hour to go get it.
And it was worth the wait, and the trouble.
It's not the greatest literary work, but it's gripping and morbid and depressive to the extent that it made me feel happy to not be in that mess! The book is written from the alternating perspectives of the two protagonists, a woman who's losing her house, and a proud ex-colonel of the Shah of Iran, who bought the house in a county auction. Neither of them wants to let go of it, and the way the story is told, you don't know whose side to take. There is no good and evil in this book. Throw into the mix a cop who falls in love with this woman and that acts as a catalyst for the break up of his marriage, and you've got a real mix of emotional forces. It's a remarkable portrayal of motives, passions, principles and pride.
And speaking about passions and pride, I did myself proud by doing some painting and redecoration of my room yesterday. I had bought these cute sun and moon wooden motifs from Michaels (the best store in the world!!) and finally I painted them yesterday. They turned out great and are now hanging on my wall next to my favorite pictures. And on the opposite wall hangs a beautiful set of four mirrors with candle holders, conceived and executed by my awesome cousin who really ought to be an interior decorator not a software developer.
So, on hindsight, my weekend wasn't all that tame. It had its share of sand, fog, candlelight, sun, moon, and of course, rain. Next time someone asks me how my weekend was, I'll have a better answer!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The paintings do sound neat! :-)
I like quiet weekends.

11:14 PM  
Blogger sd said...

Painting sounds good... may be you should considering posting pictures of them! I agree with Ghosh. I like quite weekends. If fact, I reckon, I could spend quite a few days just on my own!

12:26 PM  
Blogger dinesh said...

Hey..

It was a boring thanksgiving for me too. Not boring by lack of activity. Boring because it was the same old...bowling, pool etc..

All those plane we made eh ? This time, I blame you squarely..you could have made it happen and didn't :). Not my fault...for once !

2:14 PM  
Blogger aparna said...

yes yes pictures please! and i havent read the book, or watched the movie, yet.

i like a mixed bag of quiet and happening weekends actually...

11:49 PM  
Blogger RS said...

OK - you are tempting me to read the book now...but I dont want to read it and feel bad :(

You must post some pics of your motifs!

9:06 AM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Ok...I posted a reply but it's disappeared so here goes again. Thanks all, and yeah, one of these days I will get with the times and get myself a digital camera to replace my trusty old Kodak (a gift from my friends before I left India, see? I can't really give that up, can I?!!)

8:25 PM  
Blogger Vivek Sharma said...

Hey rt!! I never knew you painted as well... another great blog... seems u r living up to the title of being the curbside prophet

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home