Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Milkshake Challenge

Okay, I am going to play spoil-sport now. Tarun and Aparna both tagged me on the 23-5 tag. But since I feel stubborn and uninspired, I'm going to twist that around to a tag that I am going to start, for once! Sorry guys, play along please :)
I call this one The Milkshake Challenge. There's a scene in a certain movie I love (that I've mentioned too many times on this blog so I won't again, for fear of overkill)...A couple walking by a river is beckoned by a pseudo-beggar-poet who asks them for a word, with which he'll make a poem, and if they like the poem they can pay him some money.
I like that. The idea of picking a word and creating a home for it in the form of a story or a poem is appealing and literarily challenging.
I have no money, however, so I urge people to do this for kicks - it can be a limerick, free verse, a funny rhyme, a ballad, even an epic if it pleases you. Pick a book or magazine (or journal article, like I did!), pick the first word you see (no articles allowed!) and create something out of it. I hereby tag my taggers Tarun and Aparna and also Parth and Anoop. It's a fun way to occupy some time...And the rule is to not put too much thought into it.
By the way, the name of the challenge, and the post, comes from the original idea (the movie) because the word the couple picks is 'milkshakes'.
Alright, my word turned out to be 'preferences'. So here goes.

Coffee, tea or me?
My way or the highway?
To be or not to be?
Never, tomorrow or today?

Do you feel the weight
In each of those choices above?
Can't escape at that rate
Though that's exactly what you'd love!

Term a choice a preference, and
Watch the change in your mind
It's like fate dealt you a bonus hand
So you don't always get left behind

Preferences give you leeway
A return to the fork in the road
Allowance to change your mind halfway
A lightening of a heavy load.

A choice, like a diamond, is forever...
Chiselled in time, bound to fate.
A preference for a choice isn't, however,
Regret and guilt it doesn't create.

You can take me up on this game, or you may not.
The choice is yours, you know my preference!

11 Comments:

Blogger aparna said...

oh man!!! i cant do poetry to save my life! :-O can it be a story please? a short story??

10:35 PM  
Blogger aparna said...

and oh... this was nice, sweet! :-)

10:38 PM  
Blogger bluesman said...

damn I got tagged. I hate making my mind think, doesn't really come naturally to me.

But I know the scene you are talking about it and will definately give it a shot. Will have to do some thinking first about it :)

7:22 AM  
Blogger Parth said...

Give me a word. Any word. I like the challenge better that way. And yes, I won't charge you for the end product :-)

7:45 AM  
Blogger aparna said...

okay. tag attempted! :D

8:51 AM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Aparna - You came through fabulously well, even before I could allow you to do a story. If you want to do a story, go right ahead :)
Tarun, the inspiration was about the posting of the 23-5 thing, not so much the doing of it..Sorry!
Anoop, maybe your mind should not think for this one, more fun that way :)
And Parth, your word is "Crystal" (from my water bottle "Crystal Geyser"!!)

11:28 PM  
Blogger bluesman said...

ok I'm supposed to be working right now, but here goes nothing.

One of my favourate sayings is by Upamanyu Chatterjee in his book 'English August' where he says that "Indian men get married due to lack of sex or loneliness"

So here's a short poem on it

Big Dreams and lot of plans
Having fun and no sadness
Got to go, getting late for class
Indian men don't really get married due to lack of sex or loneliness


College fun and canteen lunch
Cutting class and studying less
No girl friend but what the heck
Do Indian men get married due to lack of sex or loneliness


Flying out on the first flight at dawn
Going to the land of milk and honeyness (a lil bit of poetic license)
Exploring things and making friends
No time for Indian men who get married due to lack of sex or loneliness


Graduated and looking for jobs
Friends moved on, searching for happiness
Roomie's getting married, what a shock
Maybe Indian men get married due to lack of sex or loneliness


Working hard, no time for fun
Meeting girls is so cumbersome
Yoga or salsa may do the trick
Am I one of those Indian men who get married due to lack of sex or loneliness


Nagging wife and crying kids
No money in my pockets but get a lot of kicks
If I only I was more august in my approach
Why did I become one of those Indian men who get married due to lack of sex or loneliness

8:02 AM  
Blogger bluesman said...

p.s. I may offend the sensibilities of a few people, so all apologies included.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Parth said...

Done

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Stuff RT.

Bluesman, absolutely fantabulous.

G

12:43 PM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Thank you, Anoop, Parth, G! This was fun, no?? G, you should get a blog too, so I can tag you next time!

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home