Monday, June 26, 2006

Meaningless rambles...blame the weather!

For the first time in more than a month, I am alone today.
Pensive (read 'lazy'!) and very hot. Today was the hottest day in Portland ever. A record breaking 107 degrees Fahrenheit. Must have melted my brain, because I can't hold a thought in my head without it going away and being replaced by another inconsequential one. Here's saving some of their ephemeral truths...

- I went to try out for Jeopardy. Got about 10 questions out of 50 (maybe more, but then those would have been sheer luck!), didn't make it past that hurdle, got 'randomly' picked out as a winner of a Jeopardy DVD, got a pen, a 'thanks for trying' and came back home happy with the chance to have missed work!

- Many thanks to those who tried to help me with the 5 interesting things...turns out I never got to use them. But here are the final five, for posterity.
1. My only court appearance occurred when I was only a few weeks old, to correct a clerical error on my birth certificate - the nurse had mistakenly entered me as 'male'!
2. Telling people about my job usually leaves them confused and calls for some 'I-O'pening remarks (I am an Industrial-Organizational or 'I-O' psychologist).
3. I have the worst, and best, luck on international flights - delays have led me to stay in France, Germany, Bahrain and Sri Lanka, completely unplanned and completely free.
4. I once had dinner with a Miss Universe.
5. A cop once let me off with a warning for driving in a 'no vehicles' zone; little did he know that I hadn't yet gotten my driver's license and was breaking a law more severe than not reading a sign!

- I am listening/watching to a DVD of Bruce Hornsby in concern. I miss going to concerts. I was going to attend his, but unfortunately, travel plans interceded - I am going to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon during the time his band's coming here. I recall the first time I heard this guy, I really thought it was Bob Dylan in some new avatar. The song was "Gonna be some changes made". Check it out. Nice jazzy/folky/rocky feel - the band gives a new meaning to the words 'in concert' because they are reallllly connected and 'in concert' every single second.

- Last Friday, at work, we were celebrating a colleague getting married, and as part of the theme, we had to bring in pictures of our own weddings/weddings we'd been in/people we'd like to marry. I picked a couple of pictures. One was from my brother's wedding last year. The other one was from a friend's wedding more than seven (!!) years ago. Boy, did that one bring back memories!! I missed another friend's wedding in Bombay last week. Thinking of most of the old 'gang' back together without me, having a wonderful time, dancing (sigh!!), eating, drinking, making dumb jokes and enquiring after each others' families, was making me wistful and almost depressed. Until I got a text message from one of them, telling me that I am still one of them better than words ever have!

- Okay, my mind's finally ground to a halt. Too hot to think/type. Will be back when I have something to say!

5 Comments:

Blogger aparna said...

Wow! Never heard of Industrial Organizational Psychologist!

And which Miss Universe?!

So if its the heat that makes you post this frequesntly, should we wish for something? :p

9:21 PM  
Blogger Zeppelin said...

hey rt.. totally unrelated to the post.. :D

but, could not find 'mora saiyan'- fuzon.. listened to the other two... whoaaaa !! fantastic ! especially madhubanthi(ae chand).. is mora saiyan got a different name on the website ?

lemme know when you get a chance..oh and thanks for the Fuzon intro ! :)

9:55 AM  
Blogger Zeppelin said...

found it !! it is labelled 'khamaaj' in MIO. wowwiiiieeeeeeeeee !! :D

thanks again !

10:04 AM  
Blogger Parth said...

In point no. 3, what about the other side of travel: baggage? :-)

8:41 PM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Hey all, sorry for such a delayed response!
Aparna, it was Yukta Mukhee (god knows how to spell it!)
Arun, that was a lovely reaction to Fuzon..but completely deserved!
Parth, yes, of course...you know my luck with bags...I've decided they are dispensable!

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home