Thursday, April 27, 2006

I wish I knew how to quit you...

If you've watched "Brokeback Mountain", you'll know where the title comes from. It's one of those phrases that so beautifully express a million feelings in one short, bitter, spat out breath.
This post reminded me that I wanted to write about this movie for a while now, but life has been getting the better of me. So I'll say a couple of things about the movie and then I'll move on.
To get the unpleasantness out of the way first, I don't really see what all the fuss is about. It's a good film, yes, but I don't know if it's a great film. I think this happens a lot with me...a perfectly good movie is ruined by the hype and rave reviews surrounding it so that I give it a lower rating than I would have if I'd gone cold to see it.
In my opinion, Crash deservedly won the Best Picture because it's a true-blue masterpiece - creative, courageous, wonderfully acted and scripted, skilful and intelligent. Brokeback Mountain is the stuff that spoof movie makers die for - sentimental, sweeping beautiful locales, rugged good looking men doing not so rugged manly things in a rugged manly fashion, weird endings, looooong pauses. At the cost of being accused of bigotry, I think the way the two leads expressed their love is a trifle too rough and bloody for me to understand - is all the violence necessary to demonstrate affection?
Ah well...time to move on. I think I am going to have to quit this space for a while. Life promises to be B-U-S-Y for the next few months. In any case, I'm starting to run out of ideas, so I'm glad to have an excuse (or fifty!) to quit blogging for a while :)
So fare thee well awhile, dear readers (yes, you three!), and my mind might be Broke, but I'll be Back!

7 Comments:

Blogger aparna said...

Hey, hey, hey!!! Dont quit yet! You asked me not to!

Come back soon!

And yes, this single line says it all. :)

8:25 AM  
Blogger Zeppelin said...

nice post ! havent seen the movie yet...and dont plan to either.. i like watching Will and Grace, but dont hink i could handle Broke Back Mountain.. know what am sayin' ? :)

anyways, have a nice B-R-E-A-K !!

ciao

9:02 AM  
Blogger RS said...

Hey, I just quoted you today on my blog and now you are all quitting on us :(

10:59 AM  
Blogger Parth said...

Ok. The fourth reader is here :-) Enjoy the break and come back with some backbreaking ideas :-)

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and the fifth one is here too. c'mon, now let's hear the other two wishes! :p

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that line..yup, read the book but dont plan to watch the movie.
Have a blast girl and come back and tell us all!!

1:41 AM  
Blogger dinesh said...

Have a good time !

Come back soon !

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home