Saturday, March 25, 2006

You Name It, We've Got It!

I'm one of those people who gets a big kick out of puns, smart names and funny song titles. Every now and then I make people groan and throw things at me because of my awful jokes and puns...
Today I realized that there have been many masters of the art who have gone unrecognized for their talents, and I want to pay a little tribute to them. Here's a collection of some of my favorite store/business names.

Brewed Awakening - Drive-through coffee shop (love this one!)
Stand your Grounds! - Another drive-through coffee shop
Fussy Cleaners - Dry Cleaners
Interior Motives - Home decor store
Control Freaks - Computer services
Store-ables - Storage containers 'store'
Kitchen Kaboodle - Kitchen stuff
Heaven 'N' Hell Tattoos - Need I explain?
The Funky Hippy - Tye-n-dye T-shirts, psychedelic art, mirrored skirts, obscure Sitar albums, incense and quite possibly marijuana!
The Tao of Tea - more than 200 varieties of tea
What the Pho? - Vietnamese restaurant (Love it!!)
Souper Bowl - Restaurant (I think! Love it anyway!)
Mad Mex - Fantastic Tex-Mex restaurant

There's a lot more of these than I can recall right now, so feel free to contribute...I will come back to this list if and when I find more gems!

9 Comments:

Blogger dinesh said...

Some good ones there..I've seen some really innovative ones too. Nothing comes to mind now though !

I liked brewed awakening and what the pho, the most out of this list ! Good job ! :)

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi. glad you got this one out. i simply love puns. i don't know why puns are generally considered to be puny and inferior to other sorts of humor - it takes a lot more ingenuity to be punny than to be slapstick, but there you go.
gotta love your list! i've seen a restaurant called SOUPER SUPPER. there was a store in Doha, Qatar with the proud legend TOUCH O FART, then i realized it was supposed to be Touch of Art and someone just didn't know any better. or maybe it was just ot shock the system -- they do anything to draw the attention of consumers these days, though it might be the wrong sort of attention, lol.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how could i forget JACK ASTOR, with the donkey coyly peeking over its HUGE BEHIND? like anyone could have missed the connection!

4:40 PM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

I liked What the Pho a lot too, Din!
And Touch O Fart is priceless!! Hey, as for puns being considered inferior to other forms of humor, do you know the reason Asimov came up with for that? (I saw Asimov featured in your profile, so I thought you might remember/want to read "Jokester")

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Interior Motives! talking about Doha, i'll have to agree that they do come up with the strangest and therefore lack creativity at the same time. There's Taliban Stores, Internet Laundry, Red Line Butchery.....the list goes on..They need help here, lots of ad advice!!

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey RT, i found another good one. PAAN-O-RAMA, on the local paanwallah at Gerrard St.
and a huge YEA to Asimov and to Jokester. plz refer: http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8304583&postID=109634650117968417

yeah, rt, it's me in a new nocturnal avtar. long story, don't ask. at least not just now. be seeing you, girl.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@marspace: i know, i know. do you know that during 2002 - 03, loads of arabs named their kids "usama" as a rash of defiance at US? maybe there's some rationality behind Taliban stores and Internet laundry, except it eludes most of us. :)

10:44 AM  
Blogger Adele said...

hey.. loved this one! Some additions:- [1] my chemist's name is 'Healing Touch', [2] saw a clothes store called 'Urban Angel' (makes me wanna go there, [3]my now-closed- down neighbourhood fish food joint was called 'fisherman' - so when i pined for rice and fish curry without any hassles- i used to call 'fisherman'!! [4]the club we joined is called 'escape' and it really feels like we've come out very far somewhere- though its a 5 min drive from our home.

9:59 PM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Hmmm...thanks for knowing and understanding Jokester! I didn't think people read all the way back...I should go to some old posts sometimes! Adele, I like 'Fisherman'; sort of like Shrek, where the donkey's name is Donkey!

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home