Sunday, April 02, 2006

Mix up

It's been one of those weekends...I roamed around despodently, thinking of undone tax returns, unfinished books, unstarted dissertations, unburned calories and unreturned phonecalls. Looking for something to cheer me up, I turned to music. More specifically, to my casette collection. Yes, I'm one of those people who still listens to tapes and casettes, especially ones recorded with so much effort all those years ago before the CD revolution. I recall the days of lying down in the dark after the rest of the family was asleep, listening to late night radio on a tinny walkman with one finger on the 'record' button and the other holding the headphone cable just-so in order to be able to hear from both sides...
I have had to throw away some really good compilations over the years due to damage to the tape or a move or some other undignified excuse. One tape that escaped such a fate is something I called cheesily enough "All-time (English) favourites: My 'first' album" :)
Recorded over a decade ago, it has such a variation of pieces as "Layla", "Take on me", "Love me do", "Annie's Song" and "Saturday Night" all in one compilation!!! It's really embarassing to me to think that I thought of "I swear" and "Actor" as some of my all-time favorites! But hey, cheesy or not, it brought back some great memories.
Another of my favorite compilations somehow got lost (I think it is in the casette deck of a certain Toyota Corolla in Chicago...Own up to it, You Who Dared To Steal A Mix Tape from me!). It had some of the standard favorites like "Jhuki jhuki si nazar", "Huzoor is kadar", "Do naina" and "Tujhse naaraaz nahin.." that I am sure feature in others' compilations too.
And then there's some I got more picky and savvy about: Like a "Fantastic Females" one, which had some lovely numbers by the women of the day (Sade and Joan Osborne come to mind), one for dance music, which progressed brilliantly from techno to jive music to slow dance music all designed for a party that I never ended up hosting!
If you count the hours I've spent creating compilations, I'm sure it'll fill a couple of weeks at least!
I have never been gifted a mix tape (unless you count my providing a list of requests and twisting arms till it gets done!), but have been the giver and compiler of a few. Each occasion (one real sad, the others good) is marked as deserving of the care and attention and time and effort of timing the songs, maximizing the space used, the meaningfulness of the collection, the sequence of songs, the aptness of the occasion...it's not a trivial exercise!
In my own fantasy world, a compilation of songs chosen and recorded specially for me ranks much much higher than flowers or dinner or Paris or expensive perfumes in the 'romantic stuff' list. It ranks just below words (poetry/letters/anything) written specially for me and just above holding my hair back while I puke.
Rob from "High Fidelity" had it right: "Now the making of a good compilation tape is a very subtle art. Many dos and don'ts. First of all, you're using someone else's poetry to express how you feel. This is a delicate thing."
Indeed!

10 Comments:

Blogger bluesman said...

why does your tape creation technique sound so familiar... especially if recorded on the 11pm-midnight show on fm, frequented occassionally by a nut job who had the impression (mis if u prefer) that he had girls falling all over for him, which he recanted in the next sentence itself...

its all coming back to me now (all apologies to celine dion and your cheesy mix tape artists)

1:00 PM  
Blogger dinesh said...

Brought back memories of when I carefully compiled my list to do a recording of my favorite ilayaraja classics. The ones I recorded using money that my parents thought were spent towards chemical engineering books that "HAD to be bought" :).

" me and just above holding my hair back while I puke"

LOL ! How come when I hold people's hair back when they puke, it's not even noticed or remembered ? Unfair world :)

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have to agree about the bringing back memories part, esp if the RJ had slighlty more influence on you than the music itself!!...seems we're not alone in the 'recording from radio' group.Yup, still believe Radio Rocks!!

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one is actually supposed to hold the head, not the hair. i read that somewhere.

6:51 AM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Anoop, I am happy to report that I only have one Celine Dion song (that too remixed, so it doesn't count!) in all my cheesy collection :)
Dinesh...at some point you graduate to holding more than her hair, and she'll notice! Or take Nocturne's advice!
Mars, darling...how I thought of you while writing this. Will the Radio Bhavan days never come back?!

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Know what?..was also thinking abt Chintu(that was his name rite??), the obnoxious guy from AIR and how we got him kicked out!!!(atleast, I prefer to think we had a part in it!!!)and Mishal and Bosco...such fun times they were : )!Must add that the stuff airing these days is nothing compared to the good ol' days : (

11:44 PM  
Blogger aparna said...

I dont listen to cassettes anymore. But i still have some old recorded ones, yes compilations... that i painstakingly put together for someone :P

Nice post. Made me nostalgic :)

11:47 PM  
Blogger Kedar said...

This comment is not about them mixups, because I would rather not talk about my mix-ups or lack thereof.
I have come to know from reliable sources that you are bum-chum pals with one Miss.vidya.balan@gmail.com
So, was wondering if it was possible to send me her address, postal is better.
I plan to pull a Andy got them books thingy with her
(Pardon the obvious dig on Southern and Indian styles)

1:10 PM  
Blogger frissko said...

nice post..ppl still listening to cassettes are hard to come by...glad they still exist though..(a sony radio/walkman and a (big)pile of growing/aging cassettes are still my favourite source of music)..

8:05 PM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Maru...woman, shh! Don't spill the beans!
Hi Aparna, good nostalgia I hope!
Kedar, dude...I promise you the address the day you're imprisoned for a crime you didn't commit in a maximum security prison in Ohio!
Welcome Frissco! Yes, I got loaned a new pile of old casettes this weekend to enjoy :)

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home