Thursday, September 08, 2005

Duets that do it for me...

Today I was listening to an album I've heard many times before, and I thought I knew it quite well. Well, not quite. It was The Corrs, and the song that blew me away today was "Little Wing". Let me take you through the voyage of discovery.
There I was, letting it play in the background while I fought research writer's block (the worst kind!!) Suddenly the mini-Mediaplayer pops up with the name "Ron Wood" and that name rang a bell..Then when the song lapsed into the guitar solo, and I heard the crowd's excitement, curiosity got the better of me, and I googled it. Sure enough, Ron Wood turns out to be a guitarist who's played with the likes of the Rolling Stones and Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart.
So here's a song that was originally a Jimi Hendrix number, covered by The Corrs (of all the bands!) with a guitar solo by Ron Wood...will wonders never cease?
It reminded me of the pseudo-intellectual, semi-idiotic excitement I felt when I found out about other great collaborations, like:
The FANTASTIC George Harrison-Eric Clapton version of "While my guitar gently weeps" (Live in Japan),
The Bono-Frank Sinatra NON-live, doctored version of "I've got you under my skin" (Who thought hip, crazy, mostly drunk, liberal Bono could match ole blue eyes, so-handsome-in-my-expensive-suit Sinatra?!),
The Eminem-Elton John duet of "Stan" (enraged and enthralled homophobics and homosexuals alike),
Tom Jones and the Stereophonics (I think!) doing "Mama told me not to come",
Rock meets rap, when Aerosmith and Run DMC "Walk this way",
a really cute song "When you're gone" with Bryan Adams and Mel C,
Rock now meets country, when Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock, more recently sing "Picture",
Hollywood meets boy-band-born British-boy-rock with a really well-done duet of the classic "Something Stupid" (originally by Frank and Nancy Sinatra) by Nicole Kidman and Robbie Williams, with Nicole doing a surprisingly good rendition of this surprisingly difficult song,
Speaking of surprising, I was surprised when my sweetheart Dave Mathews collaborated with Carlos Santana (seems like everyone collaborates with Santana!) to do a sweet little romantic number "Love of my life"
and to wind back to the album that started my post, Bono and the Corrs doing the magical magical "Summer Wine"...
Ok...that's the end of my postponing writing the damn paper..it was an exciting way to escape though..If you can think of any additions to my list of collaborations, feel free to share.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zeppelin said...

hiya aarti,

first time here.. came through dinster's blog. pretty interesting collection you got here..though have never listened to dylan and sinatra stuff at all...

i wonder whether ur comment about zep/doors was out of irritation... or whether u like 'em too..just curious..:)

since your title is duets, you reminded me of .. "I want to spend my life loving you", from the movie, "Mask of Zorro" - Marc Anthony and Tina Arena.. really superb song.. This song (to me) is more than an amazing duet.. it very closely follows the raga Charukesi.. (read somewhere in your profile that you like carnatic music as well..)

CORRS ... maan they are lovely..

cool post..

cheers!
-arun

1:23 PM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Hi Arun, welcome to the curb! I don't know when u posted this..I only just saw it scrolling down. Well, yes I do like the Doors and Led Zep. Haven't heard the Zorro song..Don't know if I want to, I am really biased against Marc Antony ;) But really like Charukesi, so maybe I'll look out for it! Keep returning!

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont remember if I discussed 'Picture' with you..but really love that number..which reminds me, have you heard the one by Shania Twain and Mark Macgrath(Sugar Ray)We're having a party???nice but not great.

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home