Sunday, February 20, 2005

Soft addictions

Hi, my name is Aarti, and I am *gasp* a movie-addict, actually, make that a novel-addict, or actually maybe it's actually internet addiction. Is there such a thing as sleep-addiction? Or perhaps thought-addict is good enough.
Well, the point is, I have noticed of late, that I will engage in several meaningless activities to get away from doing more worthwhile things. It's like that joke about the laws of grad student life - even though we know we are wasting time and could be involved in something that really makes use of our awesome potential (yeah, right! like what, work on our dissertation? haha!) it doesn't result in a real change.
Like this weekend for instance, I am supposed to have done something for the boss on Friday, and still haven't gotten around to it. I can think of several excuses why - it was too ambiguous a task, I had 2 birthdays to help plan and celebrate, the weather is too depressing, an old friend was in town so we had to go to dinner etc. All these reasons are completely true, but nothing will actually cut it! So, I have concluded that I have "soft addictions" - something I read about while engaging in one such soft addiction - reading stupid articles on the MSN page. (You know what I am talking about - Are you too quirky to date, or how to lose stubborn post-pregnancy fat, or what not to say in a job interview, all of which are completely irrelevant to my life!)
Oh well, I thought by putting it down in words in a semi-public forum I might make a conscious effort to cut back on these soft addictions. Let's see if that piece of psycho-babble advice works!
Alrighty folks, got to run..There's dosa in Abhi's house! What? Soft addictions you say? Naah..it's the stuff life is made of, at least now, as a lazy-ass grad student!

10 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

Throwing away time while not doing worthwhile things :-) Welcome to my world!!!

2:52 PM  
Blogger phucker said...

Here's another soft addiction - spoiler pictures to Episode 3, enjoy....

10:33 AM  
Blogger phucker said...

whoops, that should be Episode 3

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not happening, Tarun! The universe is giving me a sign by denying me access to your link :)
Aarti

8:05 AM  
Blogger sd said...

Hello,

I waste time - all the time. I suspect many grad students have 'soft addictions'!

sd

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soft addictions ! I have too many of those for my own good. But here is one strange observation..when I am in one of those rare zones, when I am able to do what I should be doing for a good amount of time (meaning type a thesis or do some experiments), when the soft addictions seem to have vanished temporarily..Those rare zones are not my own making. I don't know where I get the motivation from, or how I do it..but I just do it. Is that a soft distraction from a soft addiction ?

12:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very Nice...

Popular Love Songs

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Saavn Pro APK said...

Such A Great Article Admin Thank You

4:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank You For Amazing Information Admin Please Check My Article On NOVA LAUNCHER PRIME APK

4:37 AM  
Anonymous HindiPoems said...

I really like your post. Thanks for sharing poem for sister in hindi, gayatri mantra meaning in hindi

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home