Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi!!

Here it is, folks..the results are out! After long years of thinking I am R2D2's female version, turns out I am Han Solo. Try the cheesy quiz, and see what character you are!! And if, like me, you like parodies and spoofs, check out Weird Al Yankovich's version of Don McLean's "American Pie" - it's a Star Wars tribute called ""The Saga Begins" from which the title of today's post originates.
While I have not watched the 'prequels' (except for some parts of one..the one where Anakin-the-kid enters a race), and have watched the *real* Star Wars movies just once (SHAME ON ME!!), something about the saga fascinates me. Maybe it's the fact that it fascinates millions, churning out nerdy fans and collegiate quizes dedicated to it, maybe it's the fact that it appeals to our basest archetypes (good versus evil, adventure, beautiful princesses and mysterious enlightened creatures, Oedipus complexes and all the rest!) , maybe that it is a simple, almost simplistic mix of drama, adventure, romance, war, humor, etc. Just a fortunate blend of ingredients that make good cinema. Enough analysis paralysis! May the force be with you!
HAN
You are Han Solo.

What Star Wars Character Are You?
brought to you by

3 Comments:

Blogger phucker said...

Yippee, I am Han Solo too, by far my favourite character! I can't believe you have only seen it once, and you dare to take R2D2's name in vain! SHAME! :-p...ok not really. If I was in USA right now, I'd mail you my copy of the Star Wars DVD trilogy to you , just so you could re-watch it! Unfortunately, it is with me here in New Delhi (The DVDs have just released in fact) ...but you are welcome to come watch if you ever drop by within the next decade or so..:-) George Lucas used a lot of different influences to make the original 3 Star Wars (er.. or the latter half of the double-trilogy?). He was a big fan of Kurosawa's movies - in fact the word Jedi is something he ripped of the name of japanese theatre - Jidai Geki. Darth Vader's helmet is modelled on the old Samurai helmets. And of course there's a lot of Lord of The Rings stuff to boot (but then LOTR is in everything, be it Star Wars or Harry Potter). The reason I think Star Wars was so big, is basically because unlike Greeks, Romans, Chinese, Indians and a whole bunch of other ancient cultures, Americans lack a mythology. So they basically are making theirs up as they go along. The Matrix, Star Wars, Lord of The Rings, all kind of fall into that category, if you ask me. They have the same theme.. the Individual against the collective machine, the wise old man, the comic sidekicks, a long journey, a past which needs resolution e.t.c.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Parth said...

I agree 100% with Tarun. I have seen Americans who define their lives on these three movies. They have nothing else to fall back upon, so this is pretty much all they have. Pity.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Avinash said...

Adding to Tarun's post, it seems the word Yoda is a derivative of desi Yoddha, ie. warrior.
BTW RT if u enjoy parodies, do read Bored of the rings.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home