Friday, September 24, 2004

Prowling around rowling

I do apologise in advance for this and any future blogs that might concentrate on Harry Potter or Dave Mathews or any of my pet obsessions. But one of my earlier posts commented on the Nicholas Flamel connection between Da Vinci Code and the Philosopher's Stone, and evoked a response which I think deserves a special entry.
The issue is that of Americanizing the names of the Harry Potter books..Sorceror's Stone instead of Philosopher's Stone and Half-Blood Prince instead of Half Blood Prince. The latter I understand is a grammatical 'correction' that Rowling's making everywhere. The former, on the other hand, epitomizes what I hate about America - mind you, there's a lot of wonderful things this country has to offer, so why this self-centered view that the world revolves around America? Why stick to the Imperial system when the world does metric? Why the condescending air when they actually understand what I say because God knows nobody speaks English in the India they think of, with snake charmers and fakirs and the Kama Sutra ("Wow, you speak real good English!" while I'm thinking, "That's REALLY good English, moron!!"). Why change a historically significant phrase like Philosopher's Stone (referring of course, to Nicholas Flamel's supposed invention that is used to create the Elixir of Life) to Sorceror's Stone because it sounds more exciting to your video-game obsessed children who would think anything to do with philosophers is boring? At least, that's the reason I heard of for the change. Frankly, we'll never know...maybe that ridiculous change is exactly why the book/movie did so well here.
Oh well, getting back to Flamel. On J.K.Rowling's site, which had me excited for wayy too much time, there's a page you get access to if you crack one of her secrets - it's an early (eventually abandoned) draft from the first book that hints at a possible link between Harry's parents and the Philosopher's stone. Btw, if you crack these codes, you get entered into a scrap book..I have three entries so far, which, I tell you, was HARD work! Oh well, as you can see, I am slightly obsessed..in fact, I got into an argument with a seven year old (my department chair's son, which rubs salt into the salted wound!!) about the sixth book. Well, maybe it's time to use my time wisely, like hmm..actually earning my keep and doing some research maybe?!

5 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

Aah, the dumbing-down process in America!!! "I think, its like, you know, its like .. whatever" That's the best comprehensible statement I hear from Americans our age, not to forget that irritating accent which I can't describe here. However, I have another pet peeve. On one side are the "we are the world" believing Americans, and on the other, Indians in America who would go to any extent to fawn before the white masters. I mean, their reverential attitude towards anything American is outright disgusting. Sorry for the rant. It had nothing to do with the post, but you know, it's like ... whatever!!!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Avinash said...

RT, I have 7 of those special contents in my scrapbook on JKR's site. Keep searching and mail me if u need any help. BTW ur funda abt why philosopher was changed to sorceror wud seem far-fetched anywhere but in the US. Here coffee cups and their covers carry the warning "Caution: Contents Hot" bcos a woman successfully sued a fast-food joint for scalding her mouth with hot coffee she had ordered.

4:34 PM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

SEVEN??? DAMMIT Avinash! u must be more lukkha than me! Or more of a fan maybe! For starters, where do I find the leaf and the potion which show up on the page when I run the eraser over it? I found the feather and I forget what else..

9:44 PM  
Blogger Avinash said...

The leaves are right above the page over which u rub the eraser. The potion is in the 'Links' section on the bookshelf.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

i love the movie harry porter.thanks for posting.
Indian Movies

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home