Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Got Cat's tongue!!

Soo..the US refused to let Yusuf Islam (the erstwhile Cat Stevens) enter the country on a flight from London to DC. They derouted the plane from DC to Maine where they asked the former musician to head back. The guy has had a controversial past but honestly, without knowing any details I admit, I have a hard time imagining that someone who wrote songs called "The Wind" and "Peace Train" could be a real danger. Come ON, Homeland Security..I thought you guys believed in profiling - try this for a profile...peace loving Beat generation musician who discovered a religious calling and changed his name, giving up fame, glory, music, etc. Would he really resort to violence now, after all these years?
On to more cheerful topics...on Parth's suggestion, I tried the Veer Zaara soundtrack. I must say, it's really growing on me, especially 2-3 songs (Tum paas aa rahe ho, Tere liya, even the qavvali). I think it's an amazing idea to put together a soundtrack composed by someone who's dead. What a beautiful tribute!
That's also why I quite like the remix movement in the Indian music industry...it has introduced people like me to old melodies, which might have been lost forever. Purists might argue against the despoiling of gems but I say, I'm glad at least the despoiled versions have reached ignoramuses like me. At least we can say about old Hindi film music thank god, cat's not got their tongue!! (Haha..bad pun!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

All niceness that you like the Veer Zaara track , its the best of the year, and it will stay so, even with Swades(music by Rehman) yet to come. I am completely against this remix business though. Why not spend the same energy and talent(!!) in an attempt to do something new? Are all the tunes in music used up? Ever notice why Pakistani bands are doing so well in India? That's because no one in the pop music business in India is doing something original. Plus, I find most remixes downright insulting and revolting. Butchering soulful melodies that meant so much to 2-3 generations of people in the name of modernity does not go down well with me.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Avinash said...

I agree with Parth. It is my firm opinion that people who do remixes should be arrested and convicted for murder. For that's what it is, Murder. Talented musicians, instrumentalists and singers come together to create good music and what do these talentless leeches do? They murder it by stabbing Jhankar beats into it. And don't even get me started on how they twist the song by replacing the original video with a skin-show. The other day I heard that a few of Saigal's songs have been remixed and I wudnt be surprised if they replaced Saigal with a woman in a thong.

8:23 PM  
Blogger phucker said...

Well if I may be allowed to gate-crash this discussion, I take RT's (Aarti?) side on this. Most of the remixes were before my time, and it's only after listening to all the current trash that I've begun to appreicate what good melodies the 'old-timers' would come up. I mean in today's day and age, I can only listen to Rahman and Shankar, Ehsaan, Loy. But after listening to the remxies, I went back and bought some of the old stuff. Let's not forget that this remixing phenomenon is actually quite old - Chura Liya remixed by Bally Sagoo, circa 1994 I think), it's just that these days it's defined by naked women, and bastardised english music/beats combined.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Parth said...

Tarun, I see your side of the story. I guess I am one of the 'purists' that have been called out in this post. Actually, I was born and brought up on a dose of old Hindi film music stretching right from the times of Sehgal. I *know* the song that is remixed inside out, they evoke emotions in me that, frankly, these remixes sour. Rehman and SEL are good, but not great (ya, even Rehman) and Anu Malik has flashes of brilliance (Refugee, Aks) mixed with the downright ordinary while Jatin Lalit have run out of ideas. This generation's music directors are not a patch on the versatility and depth of the older generation(s). Those songs are all we have till another Madan Mohan, Naushad or RD were to come by. Would you see them butchered this way? I wouldn't

1:26 PM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Yay! I have created a monster! Nobody bothered to respond to my Cat Stevens peeve, but the sideline about the remix stuff got your attention, huh? Even got a certain TTG's attention...Thanks, Tarun for stopping by! Did u wander by my curb via Parth's blog?
Well, in any case, I'm with u..I did go and get some real Kishor Kumar and Geeta Dutt and oldies, but have just one sadiyal tape of remixed stuff, purely for entertainment sake. So that's my take on it, remixes are a means to a purer, more melodious end, so don't shoot the messenger and all that, Avinash and Parth!! And hey there, Parth the purist, I believe you enjoyed a certain album called "Sweet Honey Mix" on the Niagara trip, might I remind you? Even added a few jhatkas yourself to one song! *EXPOSED!! PARTH A CLOSET-REMIX-FAN!!* Well..I will try to dig up more controversy soon, watch this space!

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home