Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Turn yourself around and come on home

She got out of town
On a railway New York bound
Took all except my name
Another alien on Broadway
There's some things in this world
You just can't change
Somethings you can't see
Until it gets too late
Baby, baby, baby
When all your love is gone
Who will save me
From all I'm up against out in this world
Maybe, maybe, maybe
You'll find something
That's enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don't receive you
You should turn yourself around
And come on home
That's Rob Thomas on the radio. As if he were singing with an aim, flinging those lyrics directly at me. As if he knew that the bright lights didn't receive me, that the New York minute (of course, my view of the New York minute is not as dim as The Eagles' view) was much too short, that Chicago was probably "my kind of town" but not my town, that I had my chance at the big city life and I blew it.
I just returned from couple of trips to these places and haven't overcome the hangover yet.
There is just no way around it - I'm a big city girl - I want the constant crowds, the public transportation, the street performers, the terribly-in-a-rush people, the museums and shows and big openings, the crazy traffic, the crazies, the melting pot of cultures, the languages I don't understand spoken by the people I can't stereotype wearing clothes I can't afford, the tall buildings, the midnight crowds, the ethnic themed restaurants, the celebrity sightings...and most of all, the energy. The sense that everyone has a purpose, a place to go, a reason to live and rush about. No artificially sweet hellos, no polite conversation in the park.
Of course, outside of Bombay, I've never lived in a 'real city'. And today, someone called me "Miss Suburbia" today. Not exactly a flattering term for someone like me. It's different if you have a family to raise and need to live in 'decent neighborhoods' with good schools, backyards, garage sales every weekend and more grocery stores around than movie theaters or cafes. Not exactly my priorities right now. And yes, I know, if I grumble so much I should just move closer to downtown - but then comes pragmatism and living close to where I work and not wanting to drive more than 40 minutes every day and wanting a larger 'modern' apartment instead of a crammed old 'loft with character' for which I'd pay twice as much downtown etc. etc. So as always in my life, head wins over heart, 'oughts' overcome 'wants' and I return from the bright lights to the quiet lanes of suburbia.
It's true you know, you can take a girl out of the city, but not the city out of the girl!

7 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

What's the point of the city staying in the girl when the girl stays in the suburbs? You can have most of what you stated in para 1 if you decide to take the leap and compromise on the comforts.

9:56 AM  
Blogger J said...

I can totally identify with what you feel....Living in Sharjah is "suburbia" to those who live in matchbox sized pricey apts in Dubai...Thankfully, the crowds, traffic, noise exist in Sharjah also!

9:48 AM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Yeah Parth...I acknowledge this. Fortunately or unfortunately, as you well know, my head trumps my heart.
Jyo dear...thanks for identifying! Days like today, though, I am thankful for the peace of suburbia. It's the first chance to 'relax on the weekend' I've had in several weeks.

10:50 AM  
Blogger KP said...

Finally someone knows this song,
awesome!!!!

hey you should check out the whole album
its called "More than you think you are".

its the most impressive matchbox 20 record.
there's a song called "unwell" which, (i am just guessing), you will definitely like

have fun

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well where I live in Dubai, I have the best of both worlds I guess :)

7:52 AM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Kappa - I do know that song...actually I referred to a line from it in a previous post (don't know where/which!). I like Rob Thomas, have the first album, not the one you refer to though...I'll check it out.
E - hey, happiness is a state of mind (or a mat that sits on your doorstep, huh, Kappa?! That's from 3 a.m. I think) If you think you have the best of both worlds, you do!

8:02 PM  
Blogger KP said...

a mat that sits on your doorstep

or maybe just a muddy spot on the pavement,
spat upon a million times a day by a passing crowd

or maybe a frown, so unnoticed in a smile, that there is a boring laughter involved

or maybe the void in a mellifluously singing hate

or maybe a cup of java with a cigarette, knowing its going to end very soon

.... all mine

:)

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home