Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Today's the day to feel like a star!

The Oscar blitz is over, the fashion vultures are done dissecting the bold, the beautiful and those in between but poor old me got to watch only part of the show. The one thing I wanted to write about however, happened in a commercial break during the show and concerns this ad...Nicely brings home the magic of the movies, what with the well-chosen scenes, the lovely song (is this the Butch Cassidy song???), the cool unfolding of the scenes and the fantastic tagline...really neat.
I love these montages, the ones they do during the Oscars where they honor someone or do a theme or something. My brother and I used to compete in naming all the movies in these things. Since he's not here, I need help!
These were the movies I could spot (in sequence)...help me fill in the gaps, please!
1. Breakfast at Tiffany's
2. Singin' in the Rain
3. The Seven-Year Itch
4. ???
5. The Birds
6. Titanic
7. ???
8. Say Anything
9. Mary Poppins

Hmm...advertising and cinema - my two simmering passions...Haven't indulged myself in a long time in either. Over the last few years, I've been watching myself grow distant from the world of mainstream cinema...the number of Oscar-nominated movies I have watched before the Awards Ceremony is usually an index and this year I hit an all-time low of ZERO! Unless you count arbit movies like Cars and Water...Trying to fix that tomorrow by going to watch Babel over some pizza and beer for $3 in a Portland must-do

In the meantime, I'll ponder over missing numbers 4 and 7 and look for your insights :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

That was a good commercial. Thanks for posting about it. The comments on that video suggest no. 4 maybe Midnight Cowboy and no. 7 could be Easy Rider. Seen neither so can't confirm. Another comment mentioned that the song is "South American Gateway" by Burt Bacharach, written by him for "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", so you may be correct on that count.

11:44 AM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Thanks Parth. I haven't seen those either - if I had, I'd be mad at myself for missing them :)

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really liked Babel.

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really liked Babel.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home