Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Between a rock and a hard place

I watched '127 Hours' today. And was blown away, to say the least. The movie is based on a true incident that happened to Aron Ralston, who documented it in his book (which inspired the title of this post).
*Spoiler alert! For the next two paragraphs.*
Trapped by a boulder in a canyon while hiking in Utah, with no way out and no chance of being rescued, Aron does the unthinkable. He amputates his own arm with a blunt multi-use knife. Slowly, deliberately, literally painstakingly. And then rapels down a cliff, starving and delirious and finally walks miles to his rescue.
While that in itself is incredible, to me what's more incredible is what follows, captured in a 2-minute post-script in the movie. He keeps going! Even today he's an avid climber, continuing to do the same things he used to before this incident. Moreover, he's apparently learned something about his tendency to be alone and disconnected...he's now married and has a son.
It's such a cliche to talk about 'learning from mistakes' and 'picking oneself back up' and so on, but to see a shining example of this is so inspiring. This movie and this story is exactly what I needed. This movie redefines determination, perseverance and hope for me.
Hopefully when I'm caught between a rock and a hard place next time, I won't be afraid to lose a bit of myself in order to find a new me at the end of the journey.

2 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

You have already gone past your comfort zone by sitting through this movie despite having to cringe through some scenes. On a side note, is the music really good? Stands a chance at the Oscars?

9:37 AM  
Blogger RTD2 said...

Well, if you must know, I didn't actually *watch* the worst parts - I was looking determinedly at my friends next to me :)
And the music is good - don't know the competition, but it's good in that it really sets the mood...

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home