Friday, November 24, 2006

What's crazy about standing toe to toe and saying "I am"?

Anyone who's been to the movies recently probably recognized this line from the preview for the upcoming (and final?!) sequel to the Rocky series - Rocky Balboa. I haven't watched any of the movies yet. But this line, said quietly and simply, with no airs or arrogance, makes you wonder where it's coming from and made me, at least, want to watch the movie(s).
More than that. It made me wonder when was the last time I felt strongly about something and made a difference by asserting that feeling. Made me wonder if I've lost that ability to be passionate about issues.
It made me wonder why I haven't been successfully able to stand toe to toe with anyone or anything and say "I am".
I tell myself that I'm a pacifist and a believer in non-violence - what if I'm just too wrapped up in myself to truly care for a cause or for beliefs that make me want to shout them out from the rooftops or maybe even hurt someone who believes otherwise?
I tell myself it's flexibility - how do I know it's not cowardice in the false garb of flexibility?
I tell myself it's being open-minded - how do I know it's not fear of committing to a course of action, good or bad?
I tell myself it's my laidback, relaxed attitude and it makes my life less stressful - now I wonder where and who I could be if I did pressure myself, and others, from time to time (in a healthy, non-paranoid way!)
In my own small ways I do occassionally get up from my cushioned seat, peer down from my ivory tower and whisper in the middle of the night when nobody's listening, "Hmm..I guess I am...maybe...sometimes...".
That, apparently, is not enough :) I need to find myself some opinions, beliefs, and peaceful means of asserting them...and quickly, lest I fade into ignominy and complacence and forget my power to make a difference.
Thanks Mr.Stallone, for being the most unlikely reminder I could ever have imagined :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Parth said...

"I tell myself that I'm a pacifist and a believer in non-violence - what if I'm just too wrapped up in myself to truly care for a cause or for beliefs that make me want to shout them out from the rooftops or maybe even hurt someone who believes otherwise?"

That is probably true for most of our generation. Most ordinary people fight for a cause only when pushed into a corner. Say, for independence.

But I think fighting for a cause and making a difference need not be related. In your own way, you could be making a difference to the lives of people around you, while not really fighting a cause.

1:20 PM  
Blogger sd said...

Very nice post. These thoughts have crossed my mind too. Especially the bit about flexibility. But there are other times when I tend to agree with Parth-one could be making a difference without fighting.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Adele said...

Do you remember what Ruby used to say- "If you sit on the fence too long, you'll get your bum poked!"

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home